Sunday, March 15, 2015

American Idol Season 14: The Top 12 and The Top 11

Sarina Joi Crowe sang Love Runs Out by OneRepublic-- It was a little messy. Keith and Jenn mentioned that there were some pitch issues.
Score: 7 out of 10

Rayvon Owen sang Wide Awake by Katy Perry--OMG! Performance of the night. Rayvon sounded amazing, loved his rendition of this. I really felt him communicating through this song, beautiful notes, he coasted through this. Harry said he sounded terrific
Score: 10 out of 10

Daniel Seavey sang Straight Up by Paula Abdul-- The beginning was really good and then in the middle it seemed like he lost his way. He forgot words, his timing was off. Harry said Daniel's inexperience is really showing. Keith said find an emotional song and kill it.
Score: 6 out of 10

Maddie Walker sang Suitcase by Gwen Sebastian-- Maddie has a great voice but she has to remeber to show some emotion. I do think she has a great voice though. Harry called it a solid performance.
Score: 8 out of 10

Tyanna Jones sang Wings by Little Mix-- I don't love this song, but Tyanna does a great job turning everything into an interesting lyric. Her vocals are a little unbridled, she needs to show more control at times but this will come with experience and maturity. Harry thinks it is crazy how comfortable she is on a stage.
Score: 9 out of 10

Nick Fradiani sang In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel-- Nick has something that always draws me in. I would like to see him have more confidence cause he has the talent. Harry said you bring a lot of experience to this. Keith told him to believe in himself as much as America does.
Score: 9 out of 10

Jax sang I Want to Hold Your Hand by The Beatles-- I like Jax, but I feel like if she doesn't become more consistent and people don't start figuring out who she is, then she is going to be gone from the competition. Keith would have liked the whole thing at the piano. Harry didn't think she needed the band.
Score: 8 out of 10

Qaasim Middleton sang Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder-- Qaasim is definitely a performer, but I agree with Harry. Eventually I would like to see something different from him, something a little softer. I think sometimes his vocals drop off when he starts dancing. Jenn said his energy is contagious. Keith thought he killed it.
Score: 8 out of 10

Clark Beckham sang It's a Mans Mans World by James Brown-- I love Clark's voice, and this song fits him well. I would like him to sing something contemporary so we can see what type of album he would make today. Jenn said that was the vocal of the night. Amazing.
Score: 10 out of 10

Joey Cook sang King of Spain by The Tallest Man on Earth-- Jenn said one of your best performances and you filled up that stage just fine. I loved that performance, it was so understated but good, I will remember it.
Score: 9 out of 10

Instant Wildcards:

Quentin Alexander sang Royals by Lorde-- I loved Quentin's artistry and creativity. Jenn said he deserves to be there. Harry said you are so deeply in touch with your own artistry and the performance.
Score: 9 out of 10

Adanna Duru sang You and I by Lady Gaga-- Adanna always leaves everything out there, but it was all over the place and her vocals are a little messy. Harry said you have to channel all that energy cause it was really out of tune.
Score: 7 out of 10

-------------------------------------------------------

Top 11 -- Party Songs

Rayvon Owen sang Burn by Ellie Goulding-- Keith liked the song choice and called it his best performance. Jenn thought it was better than she wanted it to be. I actually didn't like it that much, I didn't like the song choice. Rayvon is one of my favorites, and his falsetto seemed a little bit off. Harry said, don't have the same arc on every song, make it more interesting.
Score: 7 out of 10

Maddie Walker sang She's Country by Jason Aldean-- I actually loved Maddie's vocal on this, it was her best vocal thus far. Her personality showed more than ever before, but she needs to step it up even more in terms of personality. Jenn loved her sassy and sweet personality and her strong vocals, it feels really good for you right now. Harry said I don't want you to imitate, I want to see who you are. Keith said you took some chances.
Score: 9 out of 10

Joey Cook sang Fancy by Iggy Azalea and Charli XCX-- I was not initially a Joey Cook fan, I felt like it was going to get old, but I loved this performance. I actually loved this version of the song more than the original. I am growing into a huge fan. Everyone is on their feet for her. Harry said A+ on the arrangement, sang brilliantly, it was phenomenal. Keith said your presence is so artist, and you made it your own.
Score: 10 out of 10

Clark Beckham sang Takin' it to the Street by The Doobie Brothers-- I love Clark but I don't love the song. My opinion is that it was a little bit safe, a lot of his performances have begun to sound very similar. No question about the vocals, they're crazy good. Keith said be careful, you have a great voice, but make sure you're inspiring. Jenn said it was really good on the piano. Harry said, not my favorite, I love that you don't perform, you're introspective.
Score: 9 out of 10

Jax sang Blank Space by Taylor Swift-- I'm agreeing with Jenn on this, it was not the right song choice for her. Harry thought it was a copy of the original. Keith said she seemed to struggle with the melody.
Score: 7 out of 10

Qaasim Middleton sang Jet by Paul McCartney & Wings-- I actually thought it was the best I have heard him sing. Harry said I don't think your performance matched what the song was trying to say. Keith said I don't care what you're singing about, I think your guitar playing made your singing better. Jenn said you make every song a party.
Score: 8 out of 10

Adanna Duru sang Runaway Baby by Bruno Mars-- This was a perfect song choice, a tight vocal, and a great performance. It could not have been easy to sing those vocals that quick but Adanna made it look easy. Jenn said you were in control as the performer, the vocal, the whole thing was better. Harry said it was so much better, the song choice was better.
Score: 10 out of 10

Tyanna Jones sang Tightrope by Janelle Monae-- I like this song for Tyanna, but I don't dig her attire. It's like the same outfit every week. I didn't like the breakdown in the middle of the performance but I liked the vocals. Jenn said you're so in control of everything, and it's so complete. Harry said if I were a judge in the Olympics I would have given you a 10; I wouldn't Harry, I didn't love it that much.
Score: 9 out of 10

Daniel Seavey sang Happy by Pharrell Williams-- I love Daniel but I am beginning to feel like he is in over his head with this competition. This performance of Happy was mediocre at best. Harry believes he is immensely talented. I do to, but this was not good.
Score: 7 out of 10

Quentin Alexander sang Rolling in the Deep by Adele-- I don't necessarily think this was the right song choice for him. Quentin is a great artist, and I like him very much. Harry said it was a shallow interpretation, and he didn't take it to where he usually takes it to every week.
Score: 7 out of 10

Nick Fradiani sang Wake Me Up by Avicii-- Nick's interpretation of this song was enjoyable. It really showcased the strength in his vocals, he took it to more of a rock place, which was nice. Jenn thought it was a great song choice for him. Harry said, don't be so shy. Keith said it must be an odd feeling to not have a band behind you. Thinking about it, this is actually one of my favorite performances of the night.
Score: 9 out of 10

Sarina Joi Crowe goes home! Very sad; I honestly felt like she had one of the best voices in the competition.

Who is in trouble next week? Daniel, Jax, Quentin, and Rayvon

No comments: