Saturday, April 13, 2013

American Idol Season 12: 5 Divas Set to Battle it Out

You read right! There are five ladies left in the competition. Lazaro Arbos was eliminated from American Idol this week, but this was major for more than one reason. One, there are no more men left in the competition. Two, the men went down in order, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 making this arguably the weakest men's field in American Idol history. I'm left wondering, did we get the five best guys to represent in the top ten? The only guy who definitely should have been there was Burnell Taylor, and possibly Lazaro for the sheer reason that he possessed no experience as a singer before Idol. What continues to surprise me is that the judges never used "the save". It shouldn't have to be unanimous because you have judges like Nicki Minaj who to prove an unnecessary point purposely disagree with the majority of the panel. She came out and said, she wasn't going to use "the save" on a guy and if it wasn't used on Curtis, it wouldn't be used on anyone else.

Another thing that completely puzzles me about this season is why the public isn't absolutely smitten with Amber Holcomb. When I look at her and hear her, I see and hear a young Whitney Houston at the top of her game. I cannot understand why Amber is consistently in the bottom two or three. People need to get on board with someone like her; she's beyond talented.

This week's theme was songs from the Burt Bacharach and Hal David songbook and Songs You Wish You'd Written.

My top two was Kree and Amber because both of their performances were good.

My middle two was Candice and Angie because they each had one performance that was good.

My bottom two was Janelle and Lazaro.

Angela Miller – “Anyone Who Had A Heart” by Burt Bacharach/Dionne Warwick -- Should have played perfectly to her dramatics but it was boring and old fashioned.
Angela Miller – “Love Came Down” by Kari Jobe-- This was Angie at her best, sitting at the piano, pouring out emotion and sounding amazing.
Amber Holcomb – “I Say A Little Prayer” by Burt Bacharach/Dionne Warwick -- Amber took an old song that's been done over I don't know how many times and made it current and made it her own.
Amber Holcomb – “Love On Top” by Beyonce-- I loved this choice for Amber, it was upbeat but sweet.
Lazaro Arbos - “Close To You” – Bacharach/David originally sung by The Carpenters-- This was not good. I actually felt bad for Lazaro. I'd like to know who thought he should even start the song in that low a key? 
Lazaro Arbos – “Angels” by Robbie Williams-- Love this song, and it was an improvement over his first performance but not enough to save him in the end.
Kree Harrison –  ”What the World Needs Now” by Burt Bacharach and Hal David-- Kree took this song and made it her own.
Kree Harrison –  ”Help Me Make it Through The Night” by Kris Kristofferson-- This song sounded like it was custom made for Kree. She sounded amazing; this is exactly the type of record she should be making.
Janelle Arthur- “I’ll Never Fall In Love Again” by Burt Bacharach-- I actually found this a bit boring, but I enjoyed Janelle's voice.
Janelle Arthur – “The Dance” by Garth Brooks-- This was a great choice for Janelle; she sounded like a legit country star.
Candice Glover – “Don’t Make Me Over” by Burt Bacharach/Dionne Warwick-- Everyone thought it was wonderful, but I thought it was boring. I didn't care for all the vocal acrobatics.
Candice Glover – “Love Song” by The Cure/Adele-- I did love this performance, as for it being the best in Idol history, I don't think so. There are a lot of memorable performances....... I could make a list: Kelly Clarkson-- Natural Woman, David Cook-- Billie Jean, Fantasia-- Summertime, Chris Daughtry-- Wanted Dead or Alive, and the list goes on. (maybe sometime, I'll actually tackle making a list of the best and most memorable Idol performances ever).

No comments: