Monday, April 6, 2015

The Voice Season 8: Live! Team Blake and Team Pharrell

Team Blake and Team Pharrell perform tonight, Team Christina and Team Adam are tomorrow.

Team Blake: Sarah Potenza sang Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd-- Pharrell and Christina liked the song choice and the raw quality her voice exhibited. Adam liked how the guitar part was replaced by her vocals. He thought it was an interesting take on the song. Blake said this was Sarah's idea. To be honest, I didn't love it, I thought it was okay, but sometimes it sounded like she was shouting.


Team Pharrell: Caitlin Caporale sang Best Thing I Never Had by Beyonce-- Adam said it was amazing. Blake said you're starting to show yourself as a threat and the way you navigate the melody is great. Pharrell said I am proud of you cause you went inside and embraced who you are, and that has proven why you deserve to be here. I thought this was a strong vocal. Caitlin did have that confidence that Christina talked about which displayed itself in such an obvious way.

Team Blake: Hannah Kirby sang I Feel the Earth Move by Carole King-- Christina said it was her favorite performance of the night. Pharrell said as crazy as you are, that's entertainment, and you are a singer. Adam liked her fearlessness and lack of insecurity. Blake said she hits every note with precision and the reason we have a show like this is because of people like you. I wasn't as crazy about this performance as the judges were. It was a little bit too old fashioned for me, Hannah didn't bring the performance to now.

Team Pharrell: Lowell Oakley sang Jealous by Nick Jonas-- Adam said I am happy you were pushed to do this, I am happy Pharrell pushed you out of your comfort zone. Christina wondered if he could pull it off, but felt like as he progressed he got better. Pharrell said I hope it felt as good to you as it did to us. I actually liked it so much more than I thought I would. He proved that he was able to hang in there with a pop artist. What was cool was that he added his own vocal inflections to the song which really enhanced it.

Team Pharrell: Mia Z. sang Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers-- Adam said Mia, that was awesome. It keeps getting better. Blake said if I could pick one person to be on my team that is not, it would be you. You've been under the radar and you're the most underrated singer on this show. Christina loved the song choice, and she liked that it wasn't cliche. Pharrell said I am proud and confident, and for someone to be walking around at 16 with all that. Mia is clearly poised beyond her years. Her voice has so much maturity, it's pretty amazing that she sounds like that at her age. When she sings, I believe her. My fave of the night so far.

Team Pharrell: Koryn Hawthorne sang How Great Thou Art-- Christina said you're in amazing hands, what a beautiful song choice for you, you have so much poise. Pharrell said he is so happy for her. I liked Koryn and this was a cool song choice but it sounded like she was shouting at times. She had too much verbratto too in her voice, I felt like she had to get that under control. It seemed like she was pushing too much, maybe it was her tone, it sounded very nasal.

Team Blake: Corey Kent White sang To Make You Feel My Love by Bob Dylan-- Christina said you have a special way of engaging with the audience, you have a tenderness to your voice that makes every word so believable. Pharrell said he has a sincerity in his voice. Adam said he wanted more passion and unbridled power. Blake said the mark of a great country singer is to move people with your emotion and the story. Great job, I'm very proud of you. Corey did such a beautiful job connecting with this song, but his voice was pitch perfect.

Team Blake: Brooke Adee sang Love Me Like You Do by Ellie Goulding-- Christina said I saw your focus face and you had a great vocal and hit all the right notes. Pharrell liked how she exercised the sweet spot of her voice, you did such a great job performing it. Adam said be looser, it felt stiff sometimes, clearly you have the voice and the talent. Blake said the most impressive thing about Brooke to me is the lower register of your voice, it really cut through. Wowza, solid vocal in the house. I loved that. I do get Adam's point, but I think this song was a challenge for her and she stepped up.

Team Blake: Meghan Linsey sang Love Runs Out by One Republic-- Christina said it was great. Pharrell said I am so glad you were able to go back to where you wanted to be with Blake. Blake said you accomplished everything you wanted to. She definitely has vocal chops but her voice was a little wobbly and almost sounded like she cracked at one point.

Team Pharrell: Sawyer Fredericks sang Trouble by Ray Lamontagne-- Adam said he is far beyond his years. Blake said you're so good, keep doing what you do, I don't care what happens on this show, you're a star. Pharrell said I am proud of, you. I liked this performance but didn't love it. It almost seemed like he got lost about two thirds of the way through.

Who do I think is going home?

Going Home:
Team Blake: Hannah Kirby and Sarah Potenza
Team Pharrell: Caitlin Caporale and Koryn Hawthorne


No comments: