Monday, April 13, 2015

American Idol Season 14: The Top 8 Sing Pop!

Qaasim Middleton lost to Rayvon Owen on the Fan Save....... check out what transpired.

Jax sang Poker Face by Lady Gaga-- Didn't like the arrangement at all. Everything that makes that song special was gone in this version, her enunciation was weird, like pa pa pa poker face pa pa poker face. It was strange indeed. Jenn said she didn't relate to that at all, she went so far left that no one got it. Harry said she did not inhabit the song emotionally. You can't just change the arrangement, you need to tap into the emotional space.
Score: 6 out of 10

Nick Fradiani sang Teenage Dream by Katy Perry-- This song really suited Nick, and the way he arranged it, it totally felt like him. Nick does have an intensity, but I think Keith is right in that the spirit of the song matched him. Jenn said he changed it and made it his own in the best way, I could hear it on the radio today. Harry said there were things I did and didn't like. I liked the energy, I would have liked something with grittier lyrics for you. Keith said I thought it had killer lyrics for you. I like the spirit of that song.
Score: 9 out of 10

Quentin Alexander sang Latch by Disclosure featuring Sam Smith-- Awesome, this was one of my favorite Quentin performances, there was a sexy vibe to it. He took a risk and it paid off for him. Harry said you look great tonight, I love this song, I think you're a good rhythmic singer, and I was really digging this. There were some pitch issues, but good song for you. Keith said great song choice, the laid-back phrasing was perfect for you. Jenn said you're such an artist, I sensed that you were in your head a little bit, I loved it, loved that song, great choice for you.
Score: 9 out of 10

Joey Cook sang Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus-- I feel like there are some songs you don't change, and this is one of them. It was too weird all the way around. The song felt especially strange in the chorus. Keith felt she held back on the chorus. Jenn liked the verses, not the chorus.
Score: 7 out of 10

Clark Beckham sang Make it Rain by Ed Sheeran-- I think that because this song has such a heavy R&B, blues vibe it really suited Clark and what he does best. Love that he is playing the guitar. I felt like the last verse/ chorus got a little out of control, I almost thought his voice was going to crack. Jenn said she could see him at the finale, and called his vocal amazing and effortless. Harry said that was very good, but what would have made it better is if he would have slowed it down.
Score: 9 out of 10

Tyanna Jones sang Stay by Rihanna-- I believe Tyanna definitely related to the song, but there's something special about when Rihanna sings it and that x factor was missing in this performance. Harry was extremely touched. Jenn felt like Tyanna dug deep.
Score: 8 out of 10

Rayvon Owen sang Set Fire to the Rain by Adele-- Yuck, the vocals were a sloppy mess. It was not the right choice of song for him. Jenn felt he dug, but didn't think it was the right song for him. Harry asked Rayvon what encompasses him and he said he tries to inspire people and give all glory to God.
Score: 6 out of 10

Qaasim Middleton sang Hey Ya by Outkast-- I actually think this time around Qaasim deserved to stay and had the stronger performance. Jenn said you're a fun performer, you own that stage. Harry said American Idol is lucky to have you, I love your groove and how you're always in the pocket. Keith said you know how to make the most of what you have, playing to your strengths and being entertaining. Jenn said Qaasim has a great voice.
Score: 8 out of 10


This week...... Jax, Rayvon, or Joey are my bottom three.

No comments: