Monday, April 20, 2015

The Voice Season 8: The Top Ten Go Live!

Team Christina: Kimberly Nichole sang Somethings Got a Hold on Me by Etta James-- Pharrell said it was unbelievable. Adam said she could win this thing, and Christina said she did it again. I liked this performance, but the song did not do much for me. Kimberly definitely worked it and I don't see her going anywhere, but I thought she could have chosen a song she connected with more.

Team Adam: Joshua Davis sang Hold Back the River by James Bay-- Blake felt like the song challenged him vocally, it pushed him harder than ever before. Pharrell said it displayed that there is a broad spectrum to his voice. Adam loves his tone, but felt like it was the right time for him to take a risk. I thought Joshua did connect with this song, and although I wasn't familiar with the song, I felt like it was a strong and meaningful vocal.

Team Blake: Hannah Kirby sang Shout by Tears for Fears-- Christina said Hannah is becoming a superstar. Pharrell said she is truly a great performer. Blake said she's a freak of nature. The song choice and performance was a little bit corny, it came across as a little karaoke. I like her personality, but again, just didn't go it for me.

Team Blake: Meghan Linsey sang Home by Marc Broussard-- Christina said she was so impressed. Adam was blown away by her vocal, it was her personal best performance, and put her way up at the top. I feel like for me, Meghan is the one to beat. She comes out every week and picks the right song, gives amazing performances with great vocals.

Team Pharrell: Koryn Hawthorne sang Make it Rain by Ed Sheeran-- Blake said she could not have done better than she did. Christina said she embodied that song. Pharrell said Koryn is an inspirational singer. This was so soulful, first time I have really heard and loved Koryn's voice. I felt like she connected with the song, and I felt like her tone suited the song extremely well.

Team Adam: Deanna Johnson sang Somebody to Love by Jefferson Airplane-- It seemed like Christina didn't really like it, she called it different. I didn't care for this song for Deanna, I like her a lot, and I think she is so talented, and such a great vocalist. Adam feels like she has accomplished something.

Team Christina: Rob Taylor sang A Song for You by Donny Hathaway-- Pharrell called it masterful. Christina loved the vulnerability that he showed for the first time, she said you are so special, so important, and so rare. Rob is my second pick to win this competition after Meghan. He just comes in every week, and he is so genuine in the way that he manages to connect with every song he sings. It is really amazing that he is able to do that.

Team Blake: Corey Kent White sang Unwound by George Strait-- Adam said that Corey gets more comfortable on stage every time he performs. Blake felt like that although he forgot the lyrics at one point, he kept going, and that's what a seasoned performer would do. I felt like Corey did a good job of getting the crowd going. His personality and charm really sold it this time around.

Team Pharrell: Sawyer Fredericks sang Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls-- Blake said your voice is so strong and so powerful, friggin good. Christina felt like it was awesome as usual. Pharrell said, we need more 16 year olds in the world like you. Wow, I loved that, huge fan of that song, and love what Sawyer did with it. I am not his biggest fan, but this was understated yet powerful.

Team Christina: India Carney sang Run to You by Whitney Houston-- Love India, love her, but there were pitch issues all over the place, but Pharrell thought it was a beautiful performance. Adam said they should have hired her for the musical she auditioned for. Christina said this is the moment where you conquered your fear.

In trouble tomorrow--Hannah Kirby, India Carney, Deanna Johnson

No comments: