Monday, April 20, 2015

The Top Seven Sing American Classics on American Idol Season 14

The Top 7 Idols sang American Classics, and each contestant was up twice. I'm going to  break down which was the better of each performance.
As far as the results go, I have to say that at this point, I understand why Joey Cook went home. She is a wonderful talent; however, she did not perform well in the previous week.

Tyanna Jones sang Why Do Fools Fall in Love by Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers-- This lacked soul, she was not connected to the song at all, and it lacked that tempo that the song needs. Harry asked her if she has every watched Frankie Lymon's version, and she said no. He suggested she do so and note his groove. ......Score: 6 out of 10

I liked her second performance better, it was Proud Mary by Tina Turner, the song suited her vocals.
Score 8 out of 10-- Total 14 out of 20


Clark Beckham sang Superstition by Stevie Wonder-- I feel like what's happening with Clark is that we're hearing the same types of performances over and over again, and I personally am getting a little bored. The problem was this performance is that it got real messy. Score: 6 out of 10

I liked is second performance better also, Moon River, it was classic and it may have revealed weaknesses but at the same time, it was so neccessary for us to see someone human sing this song. Score: 8 out of 10-- Total 14 out of 20

Jax sang Piece of My Heart by Janis Joplin-- I preferred this to her second performance. I really did not love either, but I felt like Piece of My Heart is more who she is than Beat It by Michael Jackson. To me, Jax reminds me of Jena Irene from last season, but I found Jena more original and more talented. For some reason, Jax seems like she is pushing hard on the vocal and it shouldn't sound like that. It also sounds like she is screaming at times, and that's something I am never a fan of. The judges overall seemed happy with her performance, even though my feeling is she could be in some trouble next week. Score: 7 out of 10 and 6 out of 10-- Total 13 out of 10

Nick Fradiani sang American Girl by Tom Petty-- I also liked this better than Nick's second performance, however, I genuinely enjoyed both performances. This may not have been very different from Tom Petty's performance, but it fit him like a glove. This was perfectly in his pocket, and he left everything out there. He sounded good, looked good, and it seemed like he had a good time with it. Jenn said he has a radio ready voice, and has grown a lot on the show. Score: 9 out of 10

For his second performance he sang Only the Good Die Young by Billy Joel--  The arrangement on this really worked to Nick's advantage. Once again, he was in that comfy pocket of his voice and it sounded great. Someone reviewed Nick's performance and said he sounds like a different person every week and I disagree with that. I think Nick has a voice that I do hear originality in, and I agree with Jenn in that his voice is radio ready. Score: 8 out of 10-- Total 17 out of 20

Quentin Alexander sang Are You Gonna Go My Way by Lenny Kravitz-- I loved the idea of Quentin doing this song, it's totally in his wheelhouse, and I see his as an artist like a Lenny Kravitz. The problem is, I wanted more from this performance, I wanted more passion, and more rocker instinct and mentality. Score: 6 out of 10

Quentin's second performance was The Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkle-- there were some beautiful moments in this, but it didn't quite come together in the way that it should have. I feel like he was so distracted by Joey and Rayvon being the bottom two that he lost focus on his own performances. He could be in some trouble this week. Score: 6 out of 10 Total-- 12 out of 20

Bottom 2: Joey Cook and Rayvon Owen
Joey sang My Funny Valentine and Somebody to Love by Jefferson Airplane-- The first performance was stronger. Unfortunately, it seemed that over the weeks, Joey lost confidence in herself, she lost that magic and sparkly in her eyes that made her so very special. Her first performance was strong and understated but being in the bottom got the best of her on her second performance.

Rayvon sang Long Train Runnin' by The Doobie Brothers and Always on My Mind by Willie Nelson-- Rayvon arguable turned in the two strongest performances of his entire Idol journey. His first performance was soulful, on point, and in terms of performance quality, he whooped everyone's ass. Jenn felt he stepped it up and he did. Score: 8 out of 10

His performance of Always on My Mind was beautiful. I felt like Rayvon connected to the song and made it his own. Jenn said she had the goosies and Harry called Rayvon essentially a ballad singer. If this all doesn't keep Rayvon out of the bottom, I don't know what will. Score: 9 out of 10 Total-- 17 out of 20

Rayvon wins the vote by 52%!

Who will be in trouble this week? Quentin and Jax, maybe Tyanna

No comments: