Wednesday, March 12, 2014

American Idol Season 13: The Top 11 Sing Songs from the Cinema

Sam Woolf sang Come Together by The Beatles from the movie Across the Universe-- Keith liked the way Sam loosened up in the performance, Jenn echoed that. I actually enjoyed hearing him sing a more upbeat song, something with meaning. I felt some passion from Sam this week.
Score: 8 out of 10

Jessica Meuse sang The Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel from the movie The Graduate-- Jenn felt she never got the groove on in that song, but she does feel like she can win. Harry said the band was off, and he gave her props for sticking with it. Harry thought it was a nice job. I actually thought this was an improvement over last week, but I will admit that it didn't blow me away.
Score: 7 out of 10

CJ Harris sang Can't You See by the Marshall Tucker Band from the movie Blow-- Harry said he sang his way back to the forefront of the competition, and he felt it was a strong performance. Keith feels he knows exactly who he is from that song. Jenn said you have the ability to change the world with your music and she said she was proud of him. I'm not as enthusiastic as the judges are. I like CJ but I'd like to hear more soul from him and I still haven't heard it yet.
Score 7 out of 10

Dexter Roberts sang Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd from the movies Forrest Gump and Sweet Home Alabama-- Keith said he's starting to loosen up and really sing. Keith said find the places to make it individual to you and who you are. Jenn said it's a lot about personality, and she said you're starting to believe you can win, good performance. Harry said you're smart and you're going down the check list, solid performance. Dexter knows himself so well, and this was really the perfect song for him. He was in the zone the whole time. I agree with all the judges, I love his haircut, he looks strong and he sounds strong.
Score: 9 out of 10

Ben Briley sang Bennie and the Jets by Elton John from the movie 27 Dresses-- Jenn said she is confused because he was so country this past week, and now he's Elton John. Harry wonders if he has heard the real Ben. Keith misses his easy authenticity, and wonders who he is as an artist. I loved that he sang this.My only criticism is I don't think he has his falsetto mastered, but this was a strong performance, despite what the judges thought.
Score: 7 out of 10

Majesty Rose sang Let it Go by Idina Menzel from the movie Frozen-- Harry, Jenn, and Keith all had similar feedback for her. They all said that she's shown many sides of herself, singing Janelle Monae to Coldplay to a Disney song. They like that she's doing that. Harry said she may be spreading herself too think stylistically. Jenn said she can do anything as did Keith.  I felt the judges were easy on her and hard on Ben for doing the same things. I found her to be pitchy in several areas and the judges didn't mention that once. Overrated performance but a possibly overrated contestant.
Score: 6 out of 10

Caleb Johnson sang Skyfall by Adele from the movie Skyfall-- Keith said great song choice, and great vocal restraint. Jenn said perfect song choice for you, it took us away from the rock but still you. Harry said the competition started tonight. I thought the song choice was a big risk and it paid off big time. I loved how he was vulnerable but still powerful. He was the best of the night, and continues to be the most consistent.
Score 10 out of 10

MK Nobillette sang To Make You Feel My Love by Bob Dylan from the movie Hope Floats-- Jenn really loved it, and she felt her really trying to connect. Jenn said she reminds her of KD Lang. Harry said you sing beautifully, make sure if you sing a run, you nail it. Keith felt MK looked like a star, and saw glimpses of who she could be. This was her best performance yet. I was impressed and I actually did have tears in my eyes by the end. She showed vulnerability this week, and she made a connection.
Score: 8 out of 10

Alex Preston sang Falling Slowly by Glen Hansard from the movie Once-- Harry said I love that you had the opportunity to do this, it was simply stated, elegantly done, and I'm proud of you. Keith said your performances hold my attention because they're raw; I love your artistry. Jenn thought it was the perfect song for him, beautiful. Another one of my favorites tonight. I agree with everything the judges said. Alex continues to take risks by being different; he embraces it.
Score: 9 out of 10

Jena Irene sang  Decode by Paramore from the movie Twilight-- Keith loves when she plays the piano and the ferocity; it's exhilarating. Jenn thinks she has one of the best voices here. Harry said he can feel this big sigh of this relief from the contestants. He said you do your own thing and it was really really strong. This was my favorite Jena performance and one of my favorites of the night. She was the strongest girl, this was a passion filled performance, strong vocals, I could hear the influence of Hayley Williams but she was different than her. Jena kept herself out of the bottom three with that performance.
Score: 10 out of 10

Malaya Watson sang I Am Changing from the movie Dreamgirls-- Jenn said perfect song, perfect way to end the show. You have an amazing voice. Harry believes she's the belter of the group and thought she did a great job. Keith felt her energy and said that what she has inside is beautiful. What a strong vocal from Malaya. The song suited her well, and she equaled Jena's performance in value, vocal, and execution.
Score: 10 out of 10

My Bottom 3 Prediction (not easy to say at all!): Majesty Rose, Jessica Meuse, and CJ Harris or Ben Briley ..... I think Majesty is going home.

No comments: