Sunday, April 22, 2018

American Idol: The Top 14 Perform

Caleb Lee Hutchinson sang Midnight Train to Memphis by Chris Stapleton-- I agree with Luke, I didn't the song was the best for him, but I think this was a good performance. Not great, I think he could do better, but I think as he evolves and settles, he will do better. Katy said I think you can't believe you're here. I'm blown away by your evolution. Luke said he loves him but wasn't crazy about the song. Lionel said the girls started screaming and you forgot about the song, grow into being you, it will come in time.

Michelle Sussett sang Friends by Marshmello and Anne Marie-- Michelle sold this performance, it's on the radio now but she put her own spin on it. I loved her vocals, I think she has actually improved so much. Luke said you became a pop star tonight, you carved out that lane even more. Lionel said its about owning your song and presentation, you owned it! You have us attitude. Katy said your song choice should have played to the at home viewers more. What is she talking about? I completely thought it played to everyone.



Marcio Donaldson sang It's a Miracle by Barry Manilow-- He definitely had fun and owned the performance. I didn't love the song choice for him. I wished he had chosen something that wasn't as dated. Lionel said keep developing, keep growing, you're on fire. Katy said you're inspiring so many people back home. Luke said I wasn't totally sold on the song choice, but good on you for showing us another style.



Mara Justine sang This is Me by Keala Settle-- Wow, she is super emotional throughout the whole performance. Her nerves are very surface tonight. Her voice is strong and I think the vocal was more controlled but she seemed on the verge of tears the whole time. Katy said you didn't arrive vocally til mid song, but you have grown in so many other ways. Luke said I wasn't totally emotionally invested in that performance. Lionel said at 16, what was I doing? You are bringing your inner strength forward in that performance.



Garrett Jacobs sang Raging Fire by Phillip Phillips-- I actually like this song choice for him, and he seemed to enjoy himself on the stage. My only argument with Garrett is that he has to work on his vocals cause he's not the best vocalist on the show which means he has to work extra hard to sell himself in different ways. Luke said he was the first performer to look truly comfortable tonight. Lionel praised his growth and development. Katy said she agrees with Luke.

Ada Vox sang The Show Must Go On by Queen-- I actually didn't love this. I liked the vocal but it was a little too dramatic. Katy's comments are off tonight, she says this is the first performance where she felt like someone showed up.

Catie Turner sang Take me to Church by Hozier-- This is disastrous for me. I don't like the song, her pitch is all over the place. Lionel and Katy are standing. Someone is tone deaf, and it's not me. Luke said you can win this thing. Lionel said you're authentic to yourself, there's nothing else like you. Katy said that she wants to sing with Catie someday.

Cade Foehner sang Black Magic Woman by Santana-- There's something about Cade that oozes authenticity. Loved his song choice, the guitar, the whole bit; he was so comfortable on stage. Lionel said you are the complete package. Luke says my wife loves you. Katy says my mom is really obsessed with you and she goes up on stage and gets a lock of Cade's hair for her.



Dennis Lorenzo sang In My Blood by Shawn Mendes-- I love that he chose a popular contemporary song. I could see Dennis doing this song right now. The beginning was a little slow but when he hit the chorus of the song, he really came alive, and all his passion came out. What a real and raw performance, and it says "raw" on the back of this jacket. Lionel felt that Dennis broke through tonight and now has to take it to the next level. Katy thought it was a shaky start but she became a believer. She also talked about how Dennis has so many sides to him and compared him to Chris Cornell. Luke said that was amazing.



Maddie Poppe sang Homeward Bound by Simon & Garfunkel-- I loved this, her vocal was truly timeless. There was such an attention to detail, the way she phrased and her vocal nuances. The judges hug at the end of her performance. Katy said you have incredible musical taste. Luke said he prays that everyone watching feels what he feels right now. He said she is so seasoned and such a pro, I agree. Lionel said we're not a business of singers, we're a business of stylists. Lionel said you may be a winner on American Idol. Katy said she thought that she was listening to Joni Mitchell.



Jurnee sang Bang Bang by Jesse J, Ariana Grande, and Nicki Minaj-- I don't think this was the best song for her to do, but I do applaud her effortlessness. She truly makes everything seem easy in terms of singing and performing. Luke said thank you for showing us another element and another side of you. Lionel said that Jurnee is really bringing it. Amy said I see you as an artist now.



Jonny Brenns sang This is Gospel by Panic at the Disco-- This song is ambitious. I think it's a little bit bigger than he is, but the performance is still fun, he's enjoying what he's doing and that makes everyone feel that way also. Lionel said when you love what you do, it's infectious. Katy said I want to hear you sing more, you've grown so much. Luke said you came in here as this loungy sultry singer, and you go after it.



Michael J Woodard sang Titanium by Sia-- WOW! All the judges are on their feet, as they should be. That performance was absolutely captivating, gorgeous. Katy said I am going to tell Sia, I met a star today who sang your song incredibly. Luke said I have felt in my heart since day one that people are going to love you. Lionel said I keep waiting to see what you do next, you are a star my friend. He thanked the judges for telling him to stay himself.



Gabby Barrett sang The Climb by Miley Cyrus-- Gabby is my fave female vocalist in this competition. She presents as so confident and strong. She knows exactly who she is as an artist. I love that her singing this was not a karaoke of the original song, she put her own signature on it. Luke said that was my favorite vocal of the night, for the first time, I feel like you're not playing around. Katy said you sounded like a star, I was really impressed. Lionel said there are things in this business that are magical and we are watching one of those moments, a star is born.



The contestants with videos posted are my top 10.

I think unfortunately, Caleb, Garrett, Ada, and Catie are going home.

No comments: