Sunday, April 8, 2018

America Idol 2018: The Top 24 Compete for the Top 14, First Half

Dominique sang Ain't Nobody by Chaka Kahn-- I was initially bored with this performance, but he really turned up the energy and the funk. His vocals were, no question, on point. He really brought it. Katy said WOW, backwards and forwards. Lionel said there's the opening act and there's the star attraction and you are the star attraction. Luke said you showed a different side of yourself tonight.

Layla Spring sang A Broken Wing by Martina McBride-- I think the song was too old for her. I would have preferred for her to pick something more fun and more her age. One thing I notice a lot about her is that she looks and acts a lot older than she is. Katy is impressed with her growth and Luke says her personality is infectious. That is certainly an accurate comment from Luke. She reminds me a lot of Kellie Pickler.

Catie Turner sang Call Me by Blondie-- Bobby told her to pick songs that leave an impression on people. I think the song was a good fit for her, and I liked how she had fun with it. There were pitch issues at certain points. The judges certainly seemed to be enjoying it as they were all up on their feet. Luke said I couldn't quit watching you. Lionel said you make people believe in who you are, you did a great job.

Dennis Lorenzo sang Rude by Magik-- I liked that he didn't play up the reggae part of the song and made it his own. I would have liked something that showed his vocal abilities more cause he's so talented. Katy thought he did play up the reggae part. She said this was not a song that would show your vocal talent. Lionel basically said the same. Luke said I love your stage presence, I believe you're a natural star.

Michelle Susset sang If I Were a Boy by Beyonce-- There were some pitch issues to be totally honest. Michelle, to me, is the biggest star in this competition, I see her being a triple threat like J. Lo. I loved how she made this song her own, forgot all about the Beyonce version and I love how she brought her culture into it. Lionel said she came out and had great stage presence. Katy said her being able to sing in Spanish is her ace . Luke said you have a unique tone in her voice.

Michael J. Woodard sang Golden Slumbers by The Beatles-- Michael is heaven sent, he was clearly meant to be here. I love that he is so well rounded stylistically and vocally, it's pretty amazing. Luke said what I love about you is you let all your emotions show. Katy said you're so chosen, you are meant to be here. Lionel said you're spectacular in terms of showing your ability and the quality of what you're giving us is so special.

Trevor McBane sang Way Down We Go by Kaleo-- I love the dirt in his voice, the gravel, and the rasp. This song really suits him. He seemed to be very connected with the song, there was a lot of emotion coming from him. Luke said you're making us believe, but release those reigns and turn the horses loose. 

Jonny Brenns sang Georgia by Vance Joy-- I have loved Jonny since I first saw him in the auditions. This was a great performance, once again, very connected to the song, lots of emotion. The range was good, I liked his falsetto. Lionel said it went from the shy guy to the sexy guy. He said that Jonny reminds him of himself. Katy said your song choice was so dead on and perfect. Luke said you're a big star but you don't all the way know it yet. You have such a smooth voice.

Kay Kay sang Love on the Brain by Rihanna-- Great song choice, it was pitchy at points, but for the most part, she turned in a strong performance. Luke said you were just born as a star, and you look like a star. Katy said tonight the full package finally arrived.

Brandon Diaz sang Hello by Lionel Ritchie-- That was a tough song choice, but I am not sure if he pulled it off or not. The ending was very convincing but overall there were some pitch issues. Katy said you're so brave. She said it was a blessing and a curse, and he landed somewhere in the middle. Lionel said he was nervous for him while he was singing.

Gabby Barrett sang My Church by Maren Morris-- I loved the personality and attitude she gave on stage. This was such an awesome choice on song, loved this. Lionel said I have never in my life watched a person get the end of the song and blow me away. Give me a little more personality half way through, continue on your journey. Katy said that was super cool, it went from 0-100 real quick. Luke said we're looking for the shine, the sparkle, and the it factor.

Cade Foehner sang All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix-- This was the most authentic performance of the night. Cade is a total star. He dared to go with Hendrix and he lived up to it. WOW! Katy said you sure are a minister and you can preach to me anytime you want. Luke said Cade we love you buddy. Katy said whether America chooses you or not, you're a star, keep shining honey. Lionel said you bring the attitude and the personality, you bring it all.

My predictions---

Who is moving forward? (7 people)

Cade Foehner
Gabby Barrett
Dominique
Michelle Susset
Michael J. Woodard
Jonny Brenns
toss up between Dennis Lorenzo and Catie Turner

Who is going home? (5 people)

Brandon Diaz
Layla Spring
Trevor McBane
Kay Kay
toss up between Dennis Lorenzo and Catie Turner

No comments: