Thursday, May 23, 2013

Reality Round-Up: American Idol, The Voice, and Dancing With The Stars-- Is it the Year of the Girl?

We all know what happened this year on American Idol. I know that they talked about a girl winning since one hadn't one since Season 6 when Jordin Sparks took that honor. I must admit that I had no doubts along the way and I wondered whether or not a girl would really win. Having an all female top five though? I never would have thought. Janelle Arthur, Amber Holcomb, Angie Miller, Kree Harrison, and Candice Miller not only proved that they could sing but they made history at the same time. Newly crowned winner Candice will release an album before the summer is over. Kree will visit the Grand Ole Opry in a couple of weeks and take the stage with Idol judge Keith Urban and good friend Kellie Pickler (who just won Dancing with the Stars and is also an Idol alum). Kree says she is hoping to put out an album that she writes and hopes to recruit friend and country newcomer Kacey Musgraves for that effort. Angie has a record deal in the works and says she'll fight to make the album her way. If her song "You Set Me Free" is any judgement of how her album will turn out, I will be waiting to buy it.

Outcome: A woman won! Candice Glover took the crown but one could argue that each woman in the top five was a winner.

On The Voice I was shocked when two more guys were sent home leaving the top eight with seven women and one male act, The Swon Brothers. I hate to say it, but the probability of The Swon Brothers winning and securing a victory for the guys is slim to none. Josiah Hawley of Team Usher and Kris Thomas of Team Shakira were sent home after rather weak performances. The top seven leaves Adam and Blake's Teams intact and Shakira and Usher with only one remaining artist each respectively.

Team Adam is Sara Simmons, Judith Hill, and Amber Carrington
Team Blake is Danielle Bradbery, Holly Tucker, and The Swon Brothers
Team Shakira is Sasha Allen
and Team Usher is Michelle Chamuel

I love the two left on Team Shakira and Team Usher. Sasha Allen is so emotional and she brings everything to every performance, especially that amazing vocal; she does no wrong for me. Michelle Chamuel digs deep on every performance, I have no idea how she does it, but she grows every week, and she's someone I am excited to see on the stage. I think The Swon Brothers are actually my favorite on Team Blake because their performances are so authentic and I feel like there's no one like them in country right now. They make me feel like I'm at a country hoedown. And I love Amber Carrington on Team Adam. she continues to surprise me with her gutsy and confident performances.

Dancing with the Stars had no surprising outcome to me; the first time I saw Kellie Pickler dance, I knew I was looking at the Champion. She took every criticism and she tapped into the emotional part of dancing which is what makes it so great. She wasn't just great at the start of the season, but she grew throughout. I couldn't be happier because she deserved it as did Derek. He did a great job partnering Kellie and being there for her.

16 year old Zendaya! What can I say? She shocked me; I did not expect someone her age to bring the poise and maturity that she brought to the ballroom. Val should be so proud of her because she executed his amazing choreography exactly how it needed to be executed. I loved what Val said on the finale about the fact that Zendaya inspired him and taught him to believe in himself and his dreams again. I think that's a tribute to Zendaya, and in my book, she too is a champion. I was a fan of Kellie before and I always have been every since American Idol, but I didn't know who Zendaya was. I can now say, I will forever be a Zendaya fan.

Jacoby Jones and Karina Smirnof took third place and rightfully so. Jacoby's exciting and energetic dancing style became a favorite in the ballroom. How he could go down into a split and right back up again, I will never know. I think what helped Jacoby was Karina's personality, she's such an open and warm dancer. He's going to have a such an awesome touchdown dance this season. I cannot wait to see it.

It's happening by the way, I am going over all the dances this season and picking my favorite ones for the top three and maybe some other honorable mentions. This season was amazing and anyone in the top three could have been a champion.

And just because it has been proven to be the year of the Woman on reality TV--

I bring you two hot songs that shout Women Power!



Zendaya danced to this song for her hip hop number and was amazing.

Katy Perry, where are you? We need you back. I know you wanted a break, but we need more songs like this, and Amber Carrington, will you please sing this on The Voice?




No comments: