Thursday, May 2, 2013

American Idol Season 12: The Top 4 One More Time

Last night was one full of odd and difficult song choices as the top four got a reprieve, a re-do, or whatever you wish to call it. Funny that the two who were in the bottom last week, Amber and Candice, received the most positive feedback from the judges last night. Kree and Angie, last week's darlings, dealt with harsh criticism from the judges. For me, Candice was the best last night, both of her performances were well orchestrated and clearly displayed the strength in her voice. I will say that her song choice of When I Was Your Man by Bruno Mars was a little bit strange initially, but she made it work. Her vocals were so strong that I think we forgot all about the details. Her second song choice, You've Changed , had a beautiful jazz style and amazing vocal inflections.

I don't quite understand how Amber came in second with the judges comments. I did not like her performance of Just Give Me A Reason by Pink and Nate Ruess. I will admit that her performance of My Funny Valentine continues to be one of the best of the entire season. In this version, she made some great changes to the song that really showcased the strengths in her voice.

I didn't think Angie's performance of Diamonds by Rihanna was as bad as everyone thought it was. The mood of the song actually fit in quite well with who Angie is. Her second performance, Gershin's Someone To Watch Over Me was easy and melodic. Based on the fact that Angie was in the top two last week, I was pretty sure that she wasn't going anywhere, and I was right.

Kree once again was given the toughest time by the judges, something that up until a couple weeks ago, she wasn't used to. Kree is actually very lucky that she wasn't voted off the show all together. She was the weakest performer on Wednesday night. She sang See You Again by Carrie Underwood, I like this song, but I didn't think it was well known enough for her to sing for a current song. Her rendition of Stormy Weather started out strong but got muddy real quick. It went way off the melody and a classic song suddenly became complicated.

I am excited to see what happens next week when we all get to go home with Angie, Candice, and Kree. I also have no doubt in my mind that Amber Holcomb is headed for stardom.

No comments: