Thursday, November 8, 2012

The X Factor Season 2: Cat Fight! Demi and Simon's Claws Come Out

Overall, this week's live show was an improvement over last weeks and this time America will decide who is eliminated. I think it was a great move to bring Diamond White back after last week's shocking elimination. I had a feeling they were going to do that. I thought that the tacky moment of the night was Demi Lovato criticizing everything Simon said as constructive criticism. Demi, Simon took a chance and gave you a job, yes, you're a great singer, but show some gratefulness and at least listen since you're the newcomer.

Arin Ray performed American Boy by Estelle-- He did take the judges advice; however, I just felt it lacked overall and maybe it wasn't the right song for him. Simon thinks he is turning into a pop star though and I do agree with that.

Paige Thomas performed Take My Breath Away by Berlin-- I'm with LA on this one, I liked it, but I wasn't blown away. Simon urged Demi not to turn this into a karaoke competition. This is where the bickering began. Demi kept trying to justify the theatrics of the performance.

Vino Alan performed When A Man Loves A Woman by Percy Sledge-- This was one of my favorite performances of the night. Britney loved how stripped down the performance was, so did I! Demi said, you're an incredible vocalist, but I don't know if you're a pop star. Simon told Vino that he went from zero to hero in a week, and he then criticized Demi's comments. LA actually admitted taking Simon's comments from last week to help Vino, and he did; this was a great performance.

Emblem3 performed a mash up of My Girl by The Temptations and California Girls by Katy Perry-- Another Demi criticism that makes no sense. She felt that Simon plugged One Direction (who he discovered) by having their track of That's What Makes You Beautiful playing in the background. This is the most ridiculous accusation ever, it's just a popular song right now, and a good one at that. LA felt that they were perfect. Simon said that they actually only had one day to rehearse this song, and they didn't once complain.

Beatrice Miller performed Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls-- I like Beatrice, although, there's a part of me that feels this song was a little too grown up for her. She does seem to be an old soul. Britney actually commented that she thinks Beatrice has the best personality of anyone in the competition. Demi said that she likes how she connects to every song that she sings.

Jennel Garcia performed I Love Rock N' Roll by Joan Jett-- LA and Simon both felt that there was no originality. Britney thought it was a hot performance. Simon made a comment that does make a lot of sense to me, he said he doesn't like what Demi had done with her look, she looks almost unrecognizable.  I feel like Demi is trying to make Jennel look like her. Even Demi from week to week doesn't look like herself. The changes in her look seem to be so drastic and it's a little bit distracting.

Tate Stevens performed Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi-- Britney called Tate a true cowboy and said he nailed the performance. Demi feels that Tate has what it takes to be a star. Simon felt that on that night of performances, Tate finally arrived. I think this Southern gentleman is going to be around for a while.

Lyric145 performed Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious from Mary Poppins-- LA said it wasn't his cup of tea personally, but it was really good. This is one of those performances that I am torn about because it was a good idea in theory, but for some reason, I didn't love it. Britney found it both intriguing and entertaining. I don't think Lyric145 should go home but they may be in trouble this week.

Diamond White performed I Have Nothing by Whitney Houston-- LA said she brought it, Demi thought it was phenomenal, and Simon called it great vocal, great song, great performance. Britney felt that she channeled Whitney. It was a beautiful performance, and I am still just so happy that Diamond had the chance to come back, hopefully she won't be going anywhere for a while.

Cece Frey performed Eye of the Tiger by Survivor-- I thought this was the weakest vocal of the night and probably the worst performance. LA said he was not blown away by this. Simon thought the song choice was horrible, and said Cece was going in a direction that she shouldn't be going in. I think Cece should go home, this wasn't good by any means, but Demi won't take any of the blame for it.

Carly Rose Sonenclar performed It Will Rain by Bruno Mars-- LA called it heartfelt, honest, and he loved it. Demi said that she would watch this over and over again. Simon said that Britney did a good job with her and said this was a massive improvement over last week, and said we were watching a star in the making. Carly definitely gave the most powerful performance of the night.

Jason Brock performed I Believe I Can Fly by R. Kelly-- There is no question that Jason has a great voice, but for some reason, I did not believe him singing this song. Britney and Demi both felt it sounded and looked too much like a Vegas lounge act. Simon said he didn't believe it.

Fifth Harmony (formerly 1432) performed A Thousand Years by Christina Perri-- This was awesome, I think Simon is definitely onto something with this group of young women. LA said he was actually impressed. Britney said they shined the whole way, and Demi said that what separates them from other girl groups is that they are all strong vocalists. Simon said he was excited about their potential and said how proud of them he was.

My predictions for the bottom 3: Cece Frey, Jason Brock, and either Lyric145 or Beatrice Miller 

No comments: