Sunday, May 7, 2023

American Idol Season 21: The Songbooks of Alanis Morissette and Ed Sheeran Stun

Warren Peay sang All I Really Want by Alanis Morissette-- I am actually not very familiar with this Alanis song. Alanis said she never imagined a version like this. Ed said his confidence shined. Luke said it is fun watching him grow. 

Zachariah Smith sang Ironic by Alanis Morissette-- Zachariah is by far my favorite, I look forward to his performances every week and this is my fave Alanis song so I was happy to hear he was singing this. Alanis was quite complimentary saying his voice is angelic and he moves beautifully. It was great to hear him sing something softer but still be able to use his rock voice for the chorus. 



Iam Tongi and Oliver Steele sang Photograph by Ed Sheeran-- These two artists are made to sing together. They should once this is all over. Their voices are just so complimentary. Ed loved the gentleness and soulfulness. Alanis loves the respect between them as well as their vulnerability. Luke loved the arrangement.  



Haven Madison sang You Learn by Alanis Morissette--  Wow! She is so young but it really comes across that she feels the song. Alanis called it gorgeous and said that she has that inside out music in her body. Ed called the chorus captivating. 

We Ani and Warren Peay sang Perfect by Ed Sheeran-- This is probably the most unusual pairing. I have to be honest, it is probably the weakest of the duets. Alanis said they showed their massive range, emotionally as well. 

Colin Stough sang Hand in My Pocket by Alanis Morissette-- LOVED! This was awesome, I never could have imagined him singing an Alanis song and somehow he brought it to life. Ed loved how it rocked out in the end. 



Haven Madison and Zachariah Smith sang Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran-- This was so beautiful, these two both need to be top five in my opinion. Ed thought it was soulful and powerful and thinks they are both really talented. Alanis felt like it was born as a duet. Luke said I have smile cramps. 



Megan Danielle sang Head Over Feet by Alanis Morissette-- Love how she slowed the song down and prettied it up. Ed said her timing is incredible. Luke said he loves watching Ed and Alanis react to seeing the contestants. Luke said you nailed that, magic. 



Iam Tongi sang Guardian by Alanis Morissette-- What a stunning performance. Alanis said the empathy in your voice is such a gift. Ed said I felt like you really connected with the song, really beautiful. Luke said great job, you always light the room up. 

We Ani sang Uninvited by Alanis Morissette-- That was a beautiful song choice for her, I wanted it to be less theatrical and more pop/ rock. Alanis said I wanted you to make it less perfect, because I wanted to believe you were singing it to somebody. Ed said I loved how you changed the arrangement, it was very powerful. Luke said it's so haunting and that was the best I ever heard it. 

Megan Danielle and Colin Stough sang Dive by Ed Sheeran-- Wow! Their voices are stunning together!! What the actual heck. I am loving this duet, and what a great song for them. Ed said whoever put you together was a genius. Megan said that they picked the song. This is such a privilege for me. Alanis said you were just connected and familial almost. Luke said that was a sweet moment.  

(I can't find this video but will post it when I find it, it was so good.)

Oliver Steele sang You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette-- Alanis gave him some feedback and said anger moves worlds. I loved that! What a brave and fierce performance. Alanis said she loved what he and his voice embraced tonight. Alanis said she is proud of him. Ed said he loved how it started. Luke said way to get in there and battle. 



My Top 5

Zachariah Smith

Haven Madison

Megan Danielle

Colin Stough

Oliver Steele


Actual Top 5 

Zachariah Smith

Megan Danielle

Iam Tongi

We Ani

Colin Stough


No comments: