Sunday, April 23, 2023

American Idol Season 21: From 26 to 20 and My Predictions for the Top 12

The Top 20 Tonight! 

Zachariah Smith sang I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner-- WOW! 19 years old. Come on! This kid is so not a gimmick. People had their doubts, he has proven all of them wrong. This was a great song for him, it is a different sound for him than usual. But I loved the presentation and the arrangement. Katy called him top ten material. Luke said I love how with every song you choose, you put your stamp on it. It's so true. 

Matt Wilson sang Say You Won't Let Go by James Arthur-- Matt is one of my very faves this season. I didn't love this song choice for him, but I think he worked it out enough and added his own twist to the song. Katy said I loved seeing your joy, it's so effervescent. 

Nailyah Serenity sang Baby Love by Mother's Finest-- She has the look of a star and I love her strong vocal and retro sound. Her whole style is so swag. I loved her, what an electric performance, I am gonna say she is top ten material for sure. Lionel said that was amazing, your voice is right there. 

Warren Peay sang Up There Down Here by Zach Williams-- What a tremendous song choice for him. I loved that he shared more of his story. Katy talked about him being vulnerable, how she had her own experiences with alcohol as well and how we all just want to relate to each other and be connected. I love how he talked about God and his connection with the church and how that brought him to American Idol. What a beautiful story. Luke praised his song choice and his vocal. I just feel like he gives me such Chris Stapleton vibes and I love his authenticity to himself as an artist. 

Kaeyra sang Bruises by Lewis Capaldi-- What a gorgeous, star quality performance. Katy said that song choice and arrangement smacked me across the face. Katy said how are you not an artist yet? Luke said I loved the way you started on the piano. 

Mariah Faith sang Cry to Me by Solomon Burke from Dirty Dancing -- She has such a great sound. I feel like Katy is absolutely right, she has that Bonnie Raitt sound that just tugs at your heart strings but then there is this fun side as well that sometimes comes out. 

Iam Tongi sang The Winner Takes it All by ABBA-- One of the judges said it, but his voice is just timeless. Lionel said I had a lot to say but the audience said it for me. Katy said this is called the Iam Tongi show. Luke said God gave you the magic, enjoy it. 

Haven Madison sang Mean Girls by Leanna Crawford-- I love her sound and her image. I don't love this song, but she carved out some shining moments to showcase her vocals. Lionel said you are such a seasoned pro at 17. It is so exciting to watch where you are going. Well said Lionel! 

Oliver Steele sang Too Soon an Original Song-- What a risk to do an original song, such beautiful lyrics. Luke said 10 out of 10 on that one. Lionel said your dad was being a great dad, your talent is on fire, enjoy this ride. Katy said that was really great, we're so proud of you. 

Lucy Love sang Boulders an Original Song-- I am really in awe of her talent. That was a stunning and vulnerable performance. Lionel said you came into this world invisible, but you will leave this world as Lucy Love. Katy said you're the survivor of your story, you are going to thrive. Luke said I love the way you attack and you captured my heart, way to show up. 

Hannah Nicolaisen sang Somebody to Love by Queen-- I love her authenticity and how she is always confidently herself. Luke said way to show us another dynamic. Lionel admires her guts, and what you put on that stage is a demonstration that you believe in where you are mind and body and you have to have that naturally and you have that in spades. Katy compared her to a Jennifer Lawrence going from a tomboy to a sultry woman. 

Olivia Soli sang I Surrender by Celine Dion-- She sang the heck out of it. She challenges herself all the time which is what I really love about her. Lionel said you have so much confidence and power behind you. Katy said I am so glad America got this right. Keep playing the power card. 

Marybeth Byrd sang People Pleaser an Original Song-- Wow! All the original songs tonight. She is going to be a star, oh my goodness. Lionel loved her falsetto and story telling skills, and said she is going to be a star. Katy said you're a star. Luke said this was a big moment for you. 

Michael Williams sang Lose You to Love Me by Selena Gomez-- I love how he turned that into a power ballad. What an awesome rendition of that song. Luke said you crushed that. Lionel said everyone came here as singer, you're turning into a real artist. 

Paige Anne sang Say Something by Great Big World-- I did not love the song for her. With that being said, I liked when she took it up a few octaves. It made the performance more interesting. Luke said you earned your spot, enjoy it. Lionel said this is not a consolation prize, this is exactly where you're meant to be. Katy said, we got it wrong, Jesus took the wheel.  

Nutsa sang Unbreak My Heart by Toni Braxton-- She always takes the judges notes well. I appreciate that about her. She sounded great tonight, she looked strong and regal. Lionel said she is the hardest worker and a force to be reckoned with. Katy said when I said no glitter, this is what I meant. Luke said you came from half way across the world and you have come so far. 

Tyson Venegas sang 180 an Original Song-- That was so gutsy, especially coming from a 17 year old. I loved it and loved how he was playing on the piano. Tyson is just so talented. Katy said she understands him more from his original. Luke said delivering messages from the world and helping people, the way you're able to hold the room, far beyond your years. Lionel said being a singer/ songwriter, you can write your future. 

Megan Danielle sang Holy Water by We the Kingdom-- I felt her become more confident and I think this is a great song choice for her. Luke said it was the best he has heard her sound. 

Colin Stough sang Pretty Heart by Parker McCollum-- I love his humility and he does stay true to him at all times. I think the judges are right though. He has to push himself out of his comfort zone and grow. Lionel said you come on here every night and say I love my mama, you're doing great. Katy said you're always going to be authentic, I want you to push yourself and really shine. Luke said I know your every emotion going on in your head. Luke said you gotta give it to us all the time, you're a big star. 

We Ani sang Skyfall by Adele-- That was so good, she is such a strong and powerful singer, performer, and artist in this competition. Katy said I am shook by the results, and that song is so dramatic. I need a nap. Luke said you crush it every night. Lionel said I love you, the amount of talent you have is undeniable. 

**THIS IS A PREDICTION**

Here's my Top 12-- 

We Ani

Nailyah Serenity

Tyson Venegas

Michael Williams

Marybeth Byrd

Hannah Nicolaisen

Matt Wilson

Warren Peay

Kaeyra 

Olivia Soli

Iam Tongi

last spot is a toss up between Colin Stough and Zachariah Smith and maybe Oliver Steele gets in on that too. 

No comments: