Monday, April 17, 2023

American Idol: The Other Half of the Top 26 Performs

Tonight Noah Cyrus is the mentor. 

Elijah McCormick sang Good Vibes by Chris Janson-- Liked what he was trying to do but I don't think this song showcased his vocal abilities. It was kind of throw away. Katy felt that he nailed it. Luke thought it was a great song choice. 

Paige Anne sang Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus-- Katy said you belong here. This was an ingenious song choice. Lionel said you made us feel like we made a mistake, that was perfection, you nailed it. I loved her performance, to me, that's memorable and she was only the second performer of the night, but I guarantee by the end of the night, I will remember this. 

Marybeth Byrd sang Heart Like a Truck by Lainey Wilson-- She sounds awesome, totally making this song her own.  Luke said I feel like you're a country star in the making. Lionel said you clarified your space in this competition, country. Katy said you're a solid storyteller, I'm invested, I'm leaning in. 



We Ani sang Edge of Midnight by Miley Cyrus and Stevie Nicks-- This is an awesome song choice for her. We knocked it out of the park, that was awesome, her voice was so powerful and she was so confident on stage. Lionel spoke about her stage presence and star quality. Katy said you sound and look like a star. Luke said you have command of the stage and moment. 



Michael Williams sang Tuesdays by Jake Scott-- Michael, that falsetto killed it and sealed the deal. That was beautiful. Katy said I had chill bumps all over, that was so well delivered. You're gonna be a star with or without us. Luke said that was the right song, right vibe. Lionel said you have the heartthrob thing, the voice, and the stage presence all going for you.  

Dawson Wayne sang Copycat by Billie Eilish-- I enjoy Dawson as an artist but I am not sure that this was the right song. It didn't showcase his voice how I would have wanted. Lionel said this was a risk. He urged Dawson's fans to vote. I wish that they would say if something wasn't good. I didn't think it was a good performance personally. 

Hannah Nicolaisen sang Glitter in the Air by Pink!-- She has such a stunning voice. Katy praised her song choice, how she delivered the lyrics, and her growth throughout the competition. Luke said she should be proud of her growth. The fact that was wasn't even singing a few years ago blows my mind. This was beautiful.  



Megan Danielle sang The Chain by Fleetwood Mac-- Megan has that powerhouse vocal, and I absolutely loved this song for her. From a style perspective this was right up her alley. I want her to stay in this competition. Luke said we want to see you own the stage more. Katy called her an effortless powerhouse. 

Malik Heard sang Ain't It Fun by Paramore-- I actually loved this. I thought this was a fun song for him, and I loved the runs and the falsetto. Lionel said you were confident and in it. Katy said you are becoming like a dark horse, you worked the stage, you worked the audience. You are in it to win it. I am all about you. 



Olivia Soli sang Emotions by Mariah Carey-- Olivia sounded amazing, she made Mariah's song her own and was totally confident and comfortable. Luke said I didn't even had to judge that. Lionel and Katy both talked about her star quality. Lionel said she has a career and can go anywhere she wants to go. 



Colin Stough sang Midnight Train to Memphis by The Steeldrivers-- I loved the pointers Noah gave him and how they connected. I thought this was a great performance for him, I'd love to see him to continue to push through his nerves and grow. Katy said I loved that song choice for you, I think you just need to work on your confidence. Luke and Lionel both thought the second half of the song was better. 

Tyson Venegas sang It Will Rain by Bruno Mars-- He gave such a well rounded performance. It was actually good, even with all the fanfare. Lionel commented that him working the crowd distracted from his performance. Luke and Katy agreed. 

Nutsa sang If I was in Paris by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals-- I am a fan of Nutsa, she is a lot, but I think she is a great performer, and I like her voice. She reminds me of Britney Spears at her best. Luke and Lionel both think she is great and fun to watch. Katy said she glitter bombed the stage, she wants her to leave the glitter behind next time. She said we want to be pulled in by our hearts. 




My Predictions: 

Top 3:

We Ani and Olivia Soli 

Marybeth Byrd and Malik Heard

Hannah Nicolaisen 

Honorable Mention: Nutsa 

Botton 3: 

Dawson Wayne 

Elijah McCormick 

Paige Anne or Megan Danielle


No comments: