Monday, April 25, 2016

The Voice Season 10: The Top 11 Perform in Honor of Prince

Team Adam: Shalyah Fearing sang The Climb by Miley Cyrus-- I actually loved this more than last week. I liked how she changed the song towards the end, she really stayed true to herself. Blake said her journey is just starting for her. Christina loved the performance and loves her story. Pharrell liked how she delivered on what the song is all about. Adam said, I love you, you're amazing. Considering what you've been through, you're the embodiment of what this dream is all about.

Team Pharrell: Daniel Passino sang Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper-- I love this song for him, it really suits the tone of his voice. He is continuing to be a contender in this competition. Pharrell said you took your time and worked the room, the notes were signature. The last notes were so crazy, and I think you did a really great job. Christina said that it's great that Daniel is on Pharrell's team.

Team Blake: Paxton Ingram sang Break Every Chain by Tasha Cobbs-- This was so much better than last week. I think Paxton is back. How this will hold up against everyone else's performances I don't know but I loved this. The vocals were strong. Pharrell said this was an unleashing of power. Adam said that he is blown away, loved the performance. Blake thanked Pharrell for helping out with the arrangement, and said he has never seen that smile on Paxton before.

Team Adam: Owen Danoff sang Fire and Rain by James Taylor-- I like Owen but I don't think that the slowness of this song did him any favors. I like his tone and I think he tells an effective story, but I didn't think this was the best choice for him tonight. Christina didn't really seem to like it, she repeated that he is a good story teller. Adam likes that they can relate to each other on an artistic level.

Team Blake: Mary Sarah sang Johnny and June by Heidi Newfield-- Christina loved it. Pharrell said it was his first time hearing the song. Blake told Mary that she should learn how to yodel, he loved it obviously. I really liked this, I had never heard the song either, but for some reason, it sounded like something Carrie Underwood would sing. I continue to love her tone, and be impressed with her range, this was so pretty, and thoughtful.

Team Christina: Alisan Porter sang Stay With Me Baby by Lorraine Ellison-- I mean her vocals were strong, and I think all the coaches were on their feet. I didn't love the song though. Sometimes, to me, it comes across where she's trying to prove something and she doesn't really have to. I also think she lacks humility a little. Of course, all the coaches loved it.

Team Christina: Bryan Bautista sang Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars-- I loved the arrangement of this. I think it completely plays to Bryan's strengths. I think Bryan is someone who is very confident but is grateful. Pharrell found it effortless, he loved the Marvin Gaye sound of it. Adam said you have the best range of everyone right now, your upper register is pristine, you have all the tools to make it with this. Christina said silky smooth, amazing choices, what you do is really hard. You have that old school quality to you.

Team Blake: Adam Wakefield sang Lights by Journey-- Pharrell said you sound like a 70s southern rocker, you have a little bit of Steve Winwood in you. Big Machine should be watching you right now because you are ready. Adam said you're amazing and you do everything, in one performance, you traverse a lot of musical ground. Blake said the amazing thing about you is you always can give a little bit more. I agree with all the coaches, I just am so impressed with him. It's like he is already a seasoned musician in the business.

Team Christina: Nick Hagelin sang Your Body is a Wonderland by John Mayer-- Blake said I like seeing you centered and playing the guitar. It's like you're Jason Bourne or something. Christina said you have the best energy and you are so charismatic, there's an energy you have on stage and you're so lovable. I liked this performance too, he really zoned in and had fun with this.
The song choice was great for him, I wouldn't have thought it went with his style but it more than did. I think he is someone who will be around for a while.

Team Pharrell: Hannah Huston sang I Can't Make You Love Me by Bonnie Raitt-- Adam said you can sing so well but you still have a unique character in your voice. Pharrell said I know all of Nebraska is standing up for your right now. That was eloquent, you were generous with your range, you took your time with the song. Another solid performance by Hannah, fairly obvious she is not going anywhere. Not a lot to say, except, what impresses me about her is that she is as good as Alisan but doesn't realize that she is. She is very unassuming about how good he is.

Team Adam: Laith Al Saadi sang Make it Rain by Ed Sheeran-- Before Laith even starts singing I am so excited because as Adam said, the song is so rooted in classic rock and blues. It's a treasure. His vocals are very bluesy and I absolutely dug the guitar solo, the whole performance was sick. Pharrell and Adam were on their feet and rightfully so. Everyone should be on their feet. Blake said it's crazy that you would be so surprised that you're here because you're a breath of fresh air and we can't wait to see what you do next. Pharrell said everyone go out and buy Laith's solo albums and buy this song on iTunes right now. Adam said Laith you were amazing.

Bottom 3: Owen Danoff, Alisan Porter, Mary Sarah


No comments: