Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Voice Season 7: Disappointing Night for Team Gwen and Team Pharrell

From Team Gwen: Ryan Sill sang I Lived by One Republic-- Adam says Ryan has always been one of his favorites. Pharrell enjoyed watching Ryan come out of his shell. Gwen said she feels so emotional about him as an artist. I like Ryan because he clearly wants to be there and he shows it every week. You can't ask for more than that. He is positive, and every week he grows and becomes better.

From Team Pharrell: Jean Kelley sang Piano in the Dark by Brenda Russell-- Gwen and Adam both mentioned how dramatic and theatrical it was. Pharrell tried to be positive because Jean is on his team. This performance was a mess for me, it was way too over the top. I also think that the song choice was wrong for her. It sounded like she was pushing all the way through the performance. She may have just bought her ticket home. 

From Team Pharrell: Elyjuh Rene sang Latch by Disclosure featuring Sam Smith-- Gwen loves how in control he is.  I love all the different things that Elyjuh did with the melody. He hit the high note and then the band kicked in and he came alive, it was full force. I've always loved his ad libs because they seem so natural. Adam says it's unbelievable how good that was and he calls Elyjuh and front Sy flat performance for me. I am unsure why this song was chosen for her. Blake feels like she grew as a singer and in the performance. Gwen says you're so adorable which means she did not do very well.

From Team Pharrell: Luke Wade sang Let's Get it On by Marvin Gaye-- Strongest Team Pharrell performance of the night. This was a great song choice for Luke, but then again, he sounds amazing in almost every song he sings. I loved the timing throughout the performance, the injections of soul were amazing. Gwen thought Luke was incredible. Adam called him ridiculous. Blake told Luke that he chased the melody of that song like a cat and mouse game. He said that some people in the audience got it on.

From Team Gwen: Anita Antoinette sang All About That Bass by Meghan Trainor-- I enjoyed that Anita brought a different flavor to the song and she continues to be a strong and confident performer despite the fact that she struggled with this. Adam liked how confident she continues to be. Blake said that she owned the moment. Gwen loves her natural personality.

From Team Pharrell: DaNica Shirey sang Help Me by Joni Mitchell-- I didn't get song choice for DaNica. However, I do believe she has one of the best voices in the competition. Adam says she turned Joni Mitchell into Chaka Khan. Blake noticed her amazing breath control. Pharrell said she showed the world what she can do with her voice.

From Team Pharrell: Sugar Joans sang I Say a Little Prayer by Aretha Franklin-- I love Sugar and I love her voice. Unfortunately, with this performance, there were a lot of points where she sounded like she was screaming. I love that song but she almost went sharp singing it. Gwen called it church. Blake called it the best performance of the night. Pharrell is so proud of her and felt every moment.

From Team Gwen: Ricky Manning sang Lay Me Down by Sam Smith-- I agree with Adam, I think that at this point in the competition, Ricky is the most improved. I do think this song was a little bit of a reach, that being said, he pulled it off with passion. Blake thought his voice was in control, and he called it a solid and beautiful performance. Pharrell said he deserves his place on the show.

From Team Gwen: Taylor John Williams sang Stuck in the Middle with You by Stealers Wheel-- This young man is the real deal. I loved how he completely reinvented a song that I actually found annoying, until I heard his version. The song had a bluesy feel and his vocal was extremely smooth. Adam liked the way he changed up the song and able to show his artistry. Blake thought that the half time thing he did really worked.

My predictions on who I think it going forward.

on

Team Gwen:
Top 2: Anita Antoinette and Taylor John Williams
Gwen will save-- this is a toss up between Ryan Sill and Ricky Manning

Team Pharrell:
Top 2: Luke Wade and Elyjuh Rene
Pharrell will save-- DaNica Shirey


No comments: