Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Voice Season 5: The Knockout Rounds Add a Twist

This season, the twist added to the knockout round is that each coach will have one steal, one final push to form that perfect team for the live rounds.

I've decided that the format I would like to take for the knockouts is to give the results and then say why I do or don't agree with that result.

Up first,

Team Christina: Amber Nicole singing Mama Knows Best by Jesse J. vs. Josh Logan singing Living for the City by Stevie Wonder-- the result: Christina chose Josh and Blake and Cee Lo tried to steal Amber and she chose Cee Lo-- I agree because both of them were amazing. The only way I would have been upset is if either one of them went home. Amber absolutely owned the vocal and performance, at only 17, this is impressive. I would argue that she sang the song better than Jesse J. She's someone who has clearly been underestimated in this competition. Josh had the actual smoothness of Stevie singing that song. It's tough to find a critique when something is flawless.

Team Cee Lo: Kat Robichaud singing You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette vs. Monika Leigh singing Hit the Road Jack by  Ray Charles-- the result: Cee Lo chose Kat, and Monika was sent home.-- I agree, Kat had the stronger vocal and the stronger performance here. It seemed like Kat's been doing this forever, and I liked how she left it all out on the stage. Adam called her a rock star, so true, and Christina gave her a standing ovation. Monika has that sultry voice but her vocal lacked a little.

Team Blake: Holly Henry singing Creep by Radiohead vs. Nic Hawk singing Genie in a Bottle by Christina Aguilera-- the result: Blake chose Nic, and early favorite Holly was sent home.-- Completely agree! Nic had the better vocal, the more original arrangement, and he's the stronger performer. Holly's breathy vocal didn't hold up here; she was pushing so hard that it created all these pitch problems with the performance. Christina loved that Nic made her song his own, and Adam said he loves and misses having Nic on his team. No one mentioned Holly's pitchyness.

Team Adam: Ashley DuBose singing Hey Soul Sister by Train vs. Tessanne Chin singing Stronger by Kelly Clarkson-- the result: Adam chose Tessanne, and another early favorite, Ashley was sent home.-- I didn't love Tessanne's interpretation of the song, but it doesn't matter because she had the better vocal, and she deserved to move forward. Ashley forfeited her opportunity because she chose a song that wouldn't challenge her enough vocally. Adam said he was looking for someone who could win, and Tessanne just happened to prove it more.

Team Blake: Briana Cuoco singing Don't Speak by No Doubt vs. Shelbie Z. singing Last Name by Carrie Underwood-- the result: Blake chose Shelbie, and Briana was sent home.-- I agree because Briana's vocal was nothing to write home about. She had some pitch problems and her voice wasn't strong enough. Shelbie, on the other, although sounding like an impression of Carrie Underwood, does have a great voice. Her vocal is undeniable, and I think part of that has to do with Shelbie's confidence which Christina commented on. Cee Lo also said he loves her charm, and Briana seemed to lack some personality.

Team Adam: Grey singing Already Gone by Kelly Clarkson vs. James Irwin singing Breakeven by The Script-- the result: Adam chose Grey, and James was sadly sent home.-- This is actually a decision I struggle to agree with. Both contestants struggled in the performances, and both of them had shining moments. I am unsure of why Adam would pick one over the other, I mean obviously he has to, but there's a part of me that would pick James because as Christina said, he is so improved. Blake also said he would have given it to James

Team Christina: Destinee Quinn singing See You Again by Carrie Underwood vs. Olivia Henken singing You're No Good by Linda Ronstadt-- the result: Christina chose Olivia, and Destinee was sent home.-- I have to agree unfortunately, and I say that because I really like Destinee but her performance was shaky. She was full of emotion but the vocals were off at times. I actually agree with Adam's assessment that they were dead even. Destinee had the emotion and Olivia had the vocal. I agree ultimately, I just don't like how Olivia is so pageanty at times.

Team Cee Lo: Cole Vosbury singing Let Her Go by Passenger vs. Jonny Gray singing We Can Work It Out by The Beatles-- the result: Cee Lo chose Jonny and Blake and Adam tried to steal Cole who ended up choosing Blake.-- Completely agree. Cole impressed me in a way I never thought I would be. He has vocals. There is something special about Jonny, no matter what song he sings. Cee Lo talks about his voice being one of activism like Bob Dylan. I can see it, and I can hear it, and I can feel it.

No comments: