Wednesday, April 25, 2012

American Idol Season 11: The Top 6 Rock Out to Queen and The Contestant's Choice

The rumor was that Ryan wouldn't host tonight because he was under the weather with a horrible stomach bug. Last week, in a surprising turn of events, the competition didn't end for Elise Testone or Hollie Cavanagh, both of whom  were considered to be the weakest performers. The competition did end for Colton Dixon, who many thought were favored by the teenage girl population. Incidentally he is said to be co writing songs already with Idol alum Chris Daughtry.

The Top 6 Sing Queen

Jessica Sanchez sang Bohemian Rhapsody-- Steven said Freddie would have been proud. Jennifer said the vocal was beautiful, but it needed to be more rocked out at the rock parts. Randy felt that the performance had a lot of control especially since there were no runs in the performance. It impressed me that Jessica was able to pull this off, because it is truly one of the most difficult songs to sing. Score: 4.75

Skylar Laine sang The Show Must Go On-- Steven thought it was fabulous and could not believe that that voice and that interpretation comes from an 18 year old. Jennifer said she got goosebumps from the intensity of the performance. Randy called it one of her best to date, incredible, and effortless. Skylar continues to blow me away. There are a lot of nay-sayers out there saying that they don't think another country singer will or should win this year. I hope Skylar Laine proves them wrong. She is top three material for me.
Score: 5

Joshua Ledet sang Crazy Little Thing Called Love-- The judges gave Joshua a standing ovation. Randy said unbelievable, you're so ready, I love you, you remind me of Sam Cooke, a young Wilson Pickett in the making. Jennifer said, with you, I always know I'm gonna get an inspired vocal with a great performance. Steven said, it's always a surprise, we never know what we're gonna get with you; Freddie would have loved that. Joshua is another person who is top three material for me, I don't think he has had one bad week yet, he is by far, one of the most consistent performers that has ever been on American Idol.
Score: 5

Elise Testone sang I Want it All-- Steven called it great. Jennifer felt the song and the style of the song was right in her element, rock, blues, sexy. Randy said it was so right for you, brilliant, one of your best performances to date. Elise has been one of the most inconsistent contestants this year, and I think part of the issue is that she didn't understand who she wanted to be as an artist, I think she is figuring that out more and more every day. I hope she finally does continue on this path because she's talented.
Score: 4.9

Phillip Phillips sang Fat Bottomed Girls-- Steven said great choice of song, Jennifer said she loves how Phillip shows different flavors of himself. Randy was the most critical saying, I liked it, but I didn't love it. I agree with all of them. I feel like every time I see Phillip perform, it's such a pleasure to watch someone who is a true original. At the same time, this performance was one that didn't really excite me.
Score: 4.75

Hollie Cavanagh sang Save Me-- Jennifer urged Hollie not to get caught up in thinking about the audience, she wants her to let go, have fun, and be touched by the parts of the song that touch you. Randy said don't pull back with this song, and make sure with every performance you have a moment. Steven liked the way she held the simple melody all the way through. I liked Holly, and I didn't think she was in any more trouble in this round than say Jessica or Phillip. Be fair judges!
Score: 4.75

Contestant's Choice

Jessica Sanchez sang Dance with my Father by Luther Vandross-- Jen said it may have been the most beautiful that she has ever heard that song sung. Steven said I have never heard you sing badly. Randy called her a natural and said it is truly amazing to him. You know what's wrong when you get up there? Absolutely nothing. I was touched by Jessica's performance and it was beautiful because she connected to the song so sincerely.
Score: 5

Skylar Laine sang Tattoos on This Town by Jason Aldean-- Randy said Skylar is fierce and just goes up there and has the time of her life. Jen commented on how comfortable Skylar is on the stage. Steven didn't like the song much but said Skylar can do no wrong and that he is one of her biggest fans. I feel like literally this girl needs to record an album this year and release it in the fall. She is going to do so amazingly well, not just in country, but in pop.
Score: 4.9

Joshua Ledet sang Ready For Love by India Arie-- Randy said, I'm speechless, you're beyond your years in experience, vocals, and talent. Jen said, I don't know what to say to you anymore, that was transcendent, you snap us into reality, and you bring us present. Steven said I hope your record label finds you good songs and you're off to the moon. Skylar has apparently been counting, and Joshua has had twelve standing ovations including this one. This boy had me in tears, he touched me with this song. It was so sincere that I literally felt everything he was feeling.
Score: 5

Elise Testone sang Bold As Love by Jimi Hendrix-- Steven and Jen loved it. Jen thinks Elise's interpretations are getting better. Randy didn't think it was the right time for her to sing this song. Jen and Randy disagreed. I actually liked the groove of this song, I am proud of Elise for sticking to her guns and doing something so within her character.
Score: 4.9

Phillip Phillips sang The Stone by Dave Matthews Band-- Steven felt it was in his niche. Jen found it too obscure and artsy and urged Phillip to pick songs that are going to get him to the last show. Randy loves the artist in him, and said die, sink, or swim, at the end of the day, Phillip Phillips will always been Phillip Phillips. I agree with Randy, I think he has to who he is because that's the only person he can be.
Score: 5

Hollie Cavanagh sang The Climb by Miley Cyrus-- Hollie got a standing ovation! Randy said that's the Hollie we love, that was perfect. Jen said that's stepping it up! Steven said beautiful, good for you. I feel like if Hollie could sing like this every week, that would be amazing. She was so at home with this song.
Score: 5

No comments: