Saturday, March 7, 2009

Wild Card on Idol Season 8 Is Full of Surprises!

Ok, so I know that American Idol's wild card show for Season 8 happened almost three days ago now, but it was so good that I feel compelled to share my thoughts. First of all, the wild card was wild some people pleasantly surprised me and others should not have even been there. Ju'Not Joyner, Felicia Barton, and Kristen McNamara were robbed of a second chance; I found it questionable that Jesse Langseth and Tatiana Del Toro were included in the wild card.

Jesse Langseth opened the show with a lackluster performance of "Tell Me Something Good"; I agree with Simon, it was self indulgent. Matt Giraud outshined the competition with a soulful performance of "Who's Loving You" (originally performed by the Jackson 5); it was quite possibly the hottest performance of the semifinals (check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu_BaeYSkK0 ). Megan Corkery's performance of "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" followed, I cannot say I was particularly impressed with the vocals, but Megan does have a great personality and she is very commercial because she is different.

The judges were a little too hard on youtube phenom Von Smith who struggled through a performance of Elton John's, "Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word". On the contrary, the judges were slightly over enthusiastic about Jasmine Murray's rendition of "Reflection"; I agree when Simon said that she took a risk, but I don't think she pulled it off 100%. Ricky Braddy, a personal favorite of mine took on Stevie's "Superstition", and he was confident, personable, and I loved his falsetto.

Tatiana Del Toro did not fail to entertain but she was laughable at parts; she performed the same song that she performed two weeks ago and then tried to justify it to the judges. I don't wanna say anything, I think everyone should just watch this video of her and it will tell you all you need to know... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN2e-2340I4. Anoop also did not fail to entertain, but Anoop is the real deal because he is a showman; he doesn't necessarily have the best voice but there is this likeability that he possesses and it's just so genuine, and I always have so much fun watching him. If you notice, when Anoop starts singing, everyone gets out of there chairs, it's great... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_px-GXrPdhw .

The judges then deliberate and the first to go through is Jasmine and then Megan and Tatiana are both called up, but the judges choose Megan and eliminate Tatiana and oh goodness is she dramatic. Then more people are eliminated and it comes down to Matt and Anoop and Matt goes through, but Anoop gets through also making this year a Top 13 instead of a Top 12. This is by far one of the most surprising moments on American Idol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tco52cOrIx4 .

Kanye West and Kelly Clarkson will perform next week, West will sing "Heartless" and Clarkson will sing "My Life Would Suck Without You" which is currently climbing the charts.

No comments: