Despite the fact that the U.S. relay teams were out of both the men's and women's 4x100m relays, it was still interesting. The Jamaican women actually could not transfer the baton from one person to another and therefore did not finish the race. Veronica Campbell Brown, the gold medalist in the 200m never even received the chance to race. In the men's relay, the Jamaican men set a new world record with Usain Bolt anchoring the race.
Women's 4x100m Relay
1. Russia- Evgeniya Polyakova, Aleksandra Fedoriva, Yulia Gushchina, Yuliya Chermoshanskaya 42.31
2. Belgium- Olivia Borlee, Hanna Marien, Elodie Ouedraogo, Kim Gevaert 42.54
3. Nigeria- Franca Idoko, Gloria Kemasuode, Agnes Osazuwa, Oludamola Osayomi, Halimat Ismaila 43.04
Men's 4x100m Relay
1. Jamaica- Dwight Thomas, Michael Frater, Nesta Carter, Asafa Powell, Usain Bolt 37.10 World Record
2. Trindad & Tobago- Keston Bledman, Marc Burns, Aaron Armstrong, Richard Thompson, Emmanuel Callender 38.06
3. Japan- Naoki Tsukahara, Shingo Suetsugu, Shinji Takahira, Nobuharu Asahara 38.15
In the 4x400m relays, the U.S. men and women restored pride, dignity, and won gold medals. It was great redemption for the women, like Sanya Richards who failed to win gold in the 400m, and Allyson Felix who was the favorite in the 200m but won another silver. The men; however, dominated just as they did in the 400m and the 400m hurdles, and Jeremy Wariner closed it out well, he almost could have walked across the finish line.
Women's 4x400m Relay
1. U.S.A.- Mary Wineberg, Monique Henderson, Natasha Hastings, Sanya Richards, Allyson Felix 3.18.54
2. Russia- Elena Migunova, Tatyana Veshkurova, Liudmila Litvinova, Tatiana Firova, Yulia Gushchina, Anastasia Kapachinskaya 3.18.82
3. Jamaica- Novelen Williams, Shereefa Lloyd, Bobby Gaye Wilkins, Shericka Williams, Rosemarie Whyte 3.20.40
Men's 4x400m Relay
1. U.S.A.- David Neville, Regi Witherspoon, Kerron Clement, Angelo Taylor, LaShawn Merritt, Jeremy Wariner 2.55.39 Olympic Record
2. Bahamas- Michael Mathieu, Avard Moncur, Ramon Miller, Andrae Williams, Andretti Bain, Christopher Brown 2.58.03
3. Russia- Maksim Dyldin, Vladislav Frolov, Anton Kokorin, Denis Alexeev 2.58.06
Matthew Mitcham of Australia ruined China's diving party; the Chinese were hoping to go eight for eight in diving gold medals but will instead go seven for eight. Zhou Luxin missed his last dive only scoring 6s and 7s, and Mitcham did his most difficult dive last and nailed it scoring four perfect 10s. The amazing thing about Mitcham is that he left diving and took one year off and returned to diving just one year ago. Huo Liang was the only Chinese diver not to medal at this Olympic Games finishing in fourth.
Men's 10m Platform Diving Finals
1. Matthew Mitcham Australia 537.95
2. Zhou Luxin China 533.15
3. Gleb Galperin Russia 525.80
And in a couple of team sports the U.S. women continue to finish strong picking up a gold and a silver.