At times Federica Pellgrini's social life has earned her more fame in Italy than her swimming; I wonder at times what exactly Federica wants to be famous for. In early 2008, Pellegrini began dating fellow Italian swimmer Luca Marin; however, Marin was also dating French swimmer Laure Manaudou, until a very public breakup in December of 2007 at the European Short Course Championships. Following the breakup nude pictures of Manaudou were released online, and many believed Marin released them; although, he denies it. Pellegrini and Manaudou are major rivals and swim against each other often; irony of all ironies the three of them used to train together in Italy at LaPresse. At least for tonight, in the 200m free, fame was for swimming, and setting a new world record.
Women's 200m Freestyle
1. Federica Pellegrini Italy 1.54.82 World Record
2. Sara Isakovic Slovenia 1.54.97
3. Pang Jiaying China 1.55.05
Sara Isakovic won the first medal in swimming for Slovenia, Congratulations Sara!
It is official, Michael Phelps has won more Olympic medals than any other athlete in Olympic history, and not only was it number ten, but his swim in the 200m fly was at new world record pace (Phelps had been hoping to go under 1.52). Following the swim, Phelps was not interviewed, instead he went directly to the cool down pool to prepare for the 4x200m free relay.
Men's 200m Butterfly
1. Michael Phelps U.S.A. 1.52.03 World Record
2. Laszlo Cseh Hungary 1.52.70
3. Takeshi Matsuda Japan 1.52.97
For the second time today, Katie Hoff finished just out of medal contention in the number four spot; the other time being in the 200m free. Natalie Coughlin who very recently added this event to her repetoire captured a bronze; this was previously Amanda Beard's event. Kirsty Coventry continues to add to her medal cabinet in various events, but it was Rice (Eamon Sullivan's ex squeeze) who won her second gold in this Games.
Women's 200m Individual Medley
1. Stephanie Rice Australia 2.08.45 World Record
2. Kirsty Coventry Zimbabwe 2.08.59
3. Natalie Coughlin U.S.A. 2.10.34
Michael Phelps said that the goal of the men's 4x200m free relay was to come in under seven minutes; not only did they come in under seven minutes but they shattered the previous world record by five seconds. With teammates Ryan Lochte, Ricky Berens, and Peter Vanderkaay, Michael Phelps earned his eleventh gold medal.
Men's 4x200m Freestyle Relay
1. U.S.A.- Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte, Ricky Berens, Peter Vanderkaay 6.58.56 World Record
2. Russia- Nikita Lobintsev, Evgeniy Lagunov, Danila Izotov, Alexander Sukhorukov 7.03.70
3. Australia- Patrick Murphy, Grant Hackett, Grant Brits, Nick Ffrost 7.04.98
China continues their dominance in diving with two more gold medals in sychronized diving events.......
from Aug. 11, 08
Men's Sychronized 10m Platform
1. Lin Yue and Huo Liang China 468.18
2. Patrick Hausding and Sascha Klein Germany 450.42
3. Gleb Galperin and Dmitry Dobroskok Russia 445.26
Women's Sychronized 10m Platform
1. Wang Xin and Chen Ruolin China 363.54
2. Briony Cole and Melissa Wu Australia 335.16
3. Paola Espinosa and Tatiana Ortiz Mexico 330.06
Bela Karolyi is not the only one that believes that the female Chinese gymnasts are under the age of 16 and therefore should not be able to compete at the Olympic level. If it were ever proven , their gold medal would be null and void; however, how could it happen? Many believe the Chinese government has doctored all proper documents. Bela Karolyi did voice his concerns on primetime coverage, and I could not agree more. The U.S. did not perform to their best, Alicia Sacramone was definitely rattled and that was a shame because she is such a fearless performer. Nastia and Shawn were agressive and contributed to team U.S.A. hanging onto a silver.
Women's Team Final
1. China- Cheng Fei, He Kexin, Jiang Yuyuan, Li Shanshan, Yang Yilin, Deng Linlin 188.900
2. U.S.A.- Shawn Johnson, Nastia Liukin, Chellsie Memmel, Samantha Peszek, Alicia Sacramone, Bridget Sloan 186.525
3. Romania- Steliana Nistor, Sandra Izbasa, Andreea Acatrinei, Andreea Grigore, Gabriela Dragoi, Anamaria Tamirjan 181.525