Monday, April 29, 2019

The Voice Season 16: The Top 24 Work it Out

Team Kelly:

Rod Stokes sang Midnight Rider by The Allman Brothers-- Strong performance, this song choice really suited him. He has a shot.

Matthew Johnson sang Ordinary People by John Legend-- Wow, could it be that I preferred Matthew's interpretation of this song more than the original? I think so! A little off key at the end, but I forgive him.

Rebecca Howell sang Wild One by Faith Hill-- Rebecca is a great vocalist, I did not find the song to be memorable and I wonder whether or not she will be memorable to me by the end of the night. I think she's a great singer though and definitely deserves to be here.

Presley Tennant sang Nothing Breaks Like a Heart by Miley Cyrus-- She is one of my fave vocalists in this competition and the fact that she is so young is insane to me. She was so good! I loved that she slowed down the arrangement.

Abby Kasch sang I've Got the Boy by -- Didn't love this, is this the song Kelly was talking about last week? I did not care for this at all. I thought vocally it was okay, but it seemed to be showcasing all the same parts of her voice.

Jej Vinson sang Love Lies by Khalid and Normani-- Jej's stage presence, amazing! He performed and everyone was feeling that performance. The arrangement was like dynamite for his voice. It was soulful and emotional. Wow, loved big time!

Team Legend:

Lisa Ramey sang The Weight by The Band-- Great song, started out great. I didn't feel it held up well as the song went on.

Jacob Maxwell sang Total Eclipse of the Heart by --I am still confused about who he is trying to be here. Not enough left for him to move on.

Jimmy Mowery sang Youngblood by 5 Seconds of Summer-- I did not enjoy this performance. I see him as more pop/ R&B and I didn't think there was any element of R&B in that.

Celia Babini sang The Chain by Fleetwood Mac-- Here is someone who is not confused at all about who she is as an artist. I loved this! It was so authentic, that was incredible (John was yelling that from the audience!)!

Maelyn Jarmon sang Fallingwater by  Maggie Rogers-- The song is obscure, I have never heard it before but it worked for her vocally. However, I was a little bored and she wasn't on her game tonight.

Shawn Sounds sang Higher Ground by Stevie Wonder-- Enjoyed this, Shawn should definitely move on.

Team Adam:

Kalvin Jarvis sang Mine by Bazzi-- That was emotional and gorgeous. I loved that so much.

Betsy Ade sang Are You Gonna be My Girl by Jet-- This was the perfect song choice for her! It did get a little bit shouty though.

Mari sang Work it Out by Beyonce-- This was so within her element. She is so different from anyone else in the competition. I'd love to see her in the Top 13. 

Domenic Haynes sang Love is a Losing Game by Amy Winehouse-- Domenic can literally do no wrong in this competition. He took a big risk with that song, it paid off half way. I did not love it, but I love him and hope he moves forward.

Team Blake:

Andrew Sevener sang Boots On by Randy Houser -- Again song choice is a little obscure but I loved Andrew's vocals. My issue is, has he done enough to make himself stand out, I'm not sure.

Selkii sang Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls-- This was a great interpretation of this song. Selkii redeemed herself from last week.

Oliv Blu sang Girl from Ipanema by Frank Sinatra-- So unique from everyone in the competition. Oliv is another standout I love her.

Gyth Rigdon sang I want to be Loved Like That by Shenandoah-- Gyth is someone I always look forward to hearing. I wish he had sung something a little more mainstream but he is a skilled storyteller. 

Kendra Checketts-- sang Bad Guy by Billie Eilish-- I did not expect this song choice on her but she kind of killed her performance tonight. She actually has a good chance of going through.

Carter Lloyd Horne sang Heartbreak Hotel by Elvis Presley-- Something about this young man that I really love. He is a throwback for me. He has this cool retro vibe and he does understand who he wants to be.

Kim Cherry sang Waterfalls by TLC-- Expected song choice, she of course wanted to show off how she can sing and rap which is still cool. I thought her rapping could have been stronger but she may have done enough to pull through.

Dexter Roberts sang Ain't Nothing About You by Brooks & Dunn-- To be honest-- fave country performance of the night. I loved this.

My Top 12---

Matthew, Presley, Jej, Celia, Shawn, Kalvin, Mari, Domenic, Dexter, Carter, Gyth, last spot between Selkii, Oliv, and Kendra


No comments: