Sunday, May 10, 2015

American Idol Season 14: Two Week Recap, Did the Right One Go Home?

Two Weeks Ago:

Clark Beckham performed Living for the City by Stevie Wonder and Your Man by Josh Turner-- Clark had a totally off week, I didn't care for either one of these performances, and to be honest, I thought he was headed home after Tyanna Jones was eliminated after the first round of performances. The only good part of the first performance was when he ran over to play the piano, and then, everything after, the piano seemed to give him confidence. Your Man was just a bad song choice, no one but Scotty McCreery should sing that.

Jax sang Empire State of Mind by Alicia Keys and Human by Christina Peri-- I thought that these two performances were also misses. When Jax sang the first song, I felt like she had no connection to that song, you must be able to relate to that song and have some sort of love for NYC, or if you don't, pretend you're singing about your own hometown. For the second song, once again, I felt like it was a bad song choice, the song was too gentle and quiet for her. It didn't speak to me and clearly it didn't speak to Jax. She was my second choice to go home after Clark upon home town visits being completed.

Nick Fradiani sang Bright Lights by Matchbox 20 and What Hurts the Most by Rascal Flatts-- Nick peaked at the right time, and had the time of his life on this night of performances. He had the strongest night, and was the only shoe in to move forward in the competition to the final three. I've always thought there were vocal similarities between Rob Thomas and Nick and tonight we heard that. It was the perfect song for him, and he connected with the song in a great way. He seems to grow more and more comfortable on the stage every time he performs. I feel like he was the only person on the show that had two solid performances...........

.............. I also have to hand it to Rayvon Owen, he never gave up and fought every single week for every single performance. He gave, arguably, some of the best and strongest performances of the entire season. The young man deserves a record deal.

Rayvon Owen sang Need You Now by Lady Antebellum and Believe by Justin Bieber-- His first performance was overly dramatic, and while I appreciated him making it his own, I feel like the song lacked emotional connection. I loved his second performance; it had a lot of heart, and it was cool for Rayvon to take a song in a completely different yet successful direction, perhaps more-so than the original version.

Last Week:

3 rounds, 4 artists....

Round 1:

Scott's picks:

Rayvon Owen sang Want to Want Me by Jason Derulo
Clark Beckham sang Beautiful Day by U2
Nick Fradiani sang Because the Night by Bruce Springsteen
Jax sang My Generation by The Who

Performances in order from strongest to weakest-- Nick, Jax and Rayvon (tie), Clark

Although the judges gave this round to Jax, I felt as though her performance was a little bit too over the top. Nick's performance was stronger, it had more credibility, and it was a more comfortable performance. I liked Rayvon's performance, but there were some pitch issues. Beautiful Day was the wrong song choice for Clark. Was Scott trying to get back at him for being so stubborn?

Round 2:

Hometown Dedications:

Nick Fradiani sang Back Home by Andy Grammer
Clark Beckham sang Sitting on the Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding
Rayvon Owen sang As by Stevie Wonder
Jax sang My Immortal by Evanescence

Performances in order from strongest to weakest-- Rayvon, Jax, Nick and Clark

In theory, Jax should have had a strong performance but My Immortal didn't have enough dynamics to blow me away. Rayvon wins this round with his thoughtful and inspiring performance of "As". It is clear that Rayvon connected with that song. Nick's song choice was too obscure. I would have liked to hear him sing Home by Daughtry. Clark's song choice was too sleepy.

Round 3:

Judges Picks:

Clark Beckham sang Earned It by the Wknd
Rayvon Owen sang You Are So Beautiful by Joe Cocker
Jax sang Misery Business by Paramore
Nick Fradiani sang I'll Be by Edwin McCain

Performances in order from strongest to weakest-- Clark and Nick, Rayvon, Jax

Clark is no Wknd for sure, but his original interpretation of that song was strong. Equally Nick Fradiani continued to stay ahead of his competitors with his performance of I'll Be.

With Rayvon being sent home, Nick Fradiani is my favorite to win this thing. It's his competition to lose at this point.






No comments: