Wednesday, February 26, 2014

American Idol Season 13: The Top 13..... This is Me!

Dexter Roberts sang Aw Naw by Chris Young-- Loved this song choice for him. It did seem like he was having trouble hearing and perhaps that's why the pitch wasn't as perfect as it could have been. Keith said he needs to figure out how to make it a Dexter Roberts performance, Jenn felt the same and added that he really got the crowd going, but the song's key wasn't in the sweet spot of his voice. Harry thought that the ear monitor may have caused him to sing out of tune.
Score: 7

Malaya Watson sang Runaway Baby by Bruno Mars-- I was underwhelmed by the performance. I love that song, and I loved her personality, but the vocal lacked for me big time. She was mumbling a lot. Jenn loved her personality and song choice, but didn't think it was her best vocal. Harry thought she seemed nervous, and Keith didn't think she was on top of the song.
Score: 5

Kristen O'Connor sang Beautiful Disaster by Kelly Clarkson-- I felt like she was out of tune, and I still don't understand why the judges chose her for the wild card. Harry thought she was out of tune. Keith liked her song selection. Jennifer said something that made no sense, she told all the contestants to not think but to think.
Score: 4

Ben Briley sang Folsom Prison Blues by Johnny Cash-- I need to admit something. I didn't really know Ben Briley before this performance, and so I didn't think he belonged in the top 13. Seeing him tonight proved to me that he belongs here. I loved the performance, loved his voice, and loved the way he changed it up. Keith said he has true artistry and not to ever compromise that. Jennifer liked the way he picked up the tempo and Harry agreed and then called it the best performance of the night so far. Harry admired the fact that he chose a Johnny Cash song.
Score: 9

CJ Harris sang Radio by Darius Rucker-- I didn't care much for the song choice because it did nothing to show off his vocals. It was out of tune too. I don't know what's going on. Jennifer liked the energy of the performance. Harry loves the "cry" in CJ's voice, but thought the song choice was just okay. Keith thought it was a good song choice, and liked the swagger.
Score: 6

MK Nobillette sang Satisfaction by Allen Stone-- The song choice was weird, this was probably my least favorite performance of the night so far. I didn't hear a lot of range in her vocals, she sounded very monotone throughout the performance. Harry commented on how different she looked without makeup. Keith thinks she has already grown since her audition city to now. I am still trying to figure out if he said she looked like a deer caught in the headlights. Jenn thought this performance showed a different side of her, and she loved it. Really judges?
Score: 4

Majesty Rose sang Tightrope by Janelle Monae-- Majesty is "her majesty" tonight because she is my favorite girl so far. Her song choice was awesome, and it was a difficult song, and she did it so well. I loved her vocals, she has that old school R&B style. Keith liked her song choice. Jenn said there is no one else like her, and she had a great performance. Harry said my favorite thing about you is the mystery and he called it terrific.
Score: 9

Jena Irene sang The Scientist by Coldplay-- This performance was a mixed bag for me. There were times when Jena was shining and there were times when I felt like it was almost off key, and she was pushing vocally. Jenn liked all the different dynamics in her voice, and called her a powerhouse. She felt that she pulled it off. Harry said she makes good choices on a preexisting melody. He felt like her choices drive the harmony. Keith said lean into the song and own it.
Score: 7

Alex Preston sang A Beautiful Mess by Jason Mraz-- I liked Alex's performance tonight because it had so much sincerity and I love the tone of his voice. Like Keith and Jenn, I was completely pulled into him, I was basically hanging on each word, and there was a part of me that wanted to know what he did vocally before he actually did it. Harry thought the performance was introspective. Keith disagreed a little bit with Harry and thought that it pulled him in. Jenn said she agreed with Keith and was very caught up in the mood that he created and the emotion.
Score: 8

Jessica Meuse sang The Crow and The Butterfly by Shinedown-- Jessica is someone I have been interested in since her audition, and I am a fan of her raspy tone. Certainly, it lends itself to a rock style, but she could sing almost anything. Keith liked her bold but cool song choice, he found the rasp in her voice appealing. Jenn said it was her favorite vocal performance of the night so far, and told her to relax onstage more. Harry liked hearing this different side of her, and thought she did a nice job.
Score: 8

Emily Piriz sang Glitter in the Air by Pink-- I like Emily, and I thought her vocal was stunning. My only criticism is that it was almost too perfect, and I wanted that edge that Keith was talking about in his comment. Jenn thought she did a beautiful job of taking on this song and liked her pitch and said she was gushing. Harry said it was great and she sang the melody well and conveyed the emotion well. Keith said it was a beautiful vocal performance, one of his favorites of the night. But he told her not to forget to bring the edge.
Score: 9

Sam Woolf sang Unwell by Matchbox 20-- I enjoyed Sam's onstage presence, he seems really comfortable on stage and with his instrument. I do like his vocals and how he made the song his own. I do think it was a shred too slow for my liking, had he picked the tempo up a little, I think he would have gained more interest. Harry thinks the lyric is important in that song, but wished the vocal was more messed up. I am unsure what that means. Keith thought the tempo was slow. Jennifer wants him to believe more in his abilities.
Score: 7

Caleb Johnson sang Pressure and Time by Rival Sons-- Caleb's performance was so authentic and it really took me back to when Bo Bice was on American Idol. I love having a true rock singer on the show who just bleeds rock. Caleb's vocals are the real deal, the song was perfect for him, and he is someone who could be up on a stage now and recording albums. Keith said you are so retro, but be sure to put a twist on that. Harry said if Rival Sons ever needed a singer, you'd have that gig. Keith and Jenn gave him a standing ovation.
Score: 10

Bottom 3 Prediction: Malaya Watson, MK Nobillette, Kristen O'Connor.... guy most likely to be in the bottom three... CJ Harris

No comments: