Monday, February 24, 2014

The Top 13 on American Idol Season 13 Revealed

I've been wanting to write this blog post since last Thursday when the top 13 were announced, but I had to give myself a few days to be more thoughtful and less emotional.

Who should have been in the top 13 and wasn't: Malcolm Allen, George Lovett, and Bria Anai

Who shouldn't have made the top 13: MK Nobilette, Kristen O'Connor, CJ Harris (on a bad day)

Everyone who said this was the year of the girl, I have news for you. The girls are going to have to bring it because Malcolm and George who were left out of the top 13 could have won the whole thing.

I didn't get the point of the judges choosing a top 30 (well 31, we voted if Ben Briley or Neco Star should go through). There was no point for the viewer. They chose 16 male and 15 female singers. Then during "rush week", on live TV, the judges chose 10 male and 10 female singers to sing and 5 of each never even had the chance to sing a full song from start to finish for America. I did not like the idea of that.

I enjoy all the judges; however, I felt Harry was way too harsh during all of rush week. He acted as though none of these young people deserved to even be there. I understand that he probably sees a lot of potential in many of them, but giving out a few compliments every once in a while wouldn't hurt. I honestly feel that Harry's particularly harsh comments contributed to Malcolm and George not making the top 13.

As for Bria, I think the judges just made a massive error. Kristen O'Connor was in no way better than Bria. Bria needed to be refined, but she was a diamond in the rough.

I've focused on the negative up to this point, so now I would like to sing the praises of those contestants who more than deserved to make it into the final 13. Alex Preston reminds me so much of John Mayer, I love his authenticity, and he can play a mean guitar. I love the country guy-- Dexter Roberts, there's something about him that is so blue collar, but yet, he can really sing. My hope is he doesn't get caught up in the image part of things cause I like him the way he is. Love the two rockers in this group, Jessica Meuse and Caleb Johnson, those are two who I have loved since their first auditions, and I could see them in the group of finalists. Sam Woolf is someone else who is so talented and when you look at him, it seems unlikely, but I just enjoy how he is so different than everyone else. If Malaya Watson and Majesty Rose can pull it together and be consistent, these are two ladies who could be extremely popular with America. They both have great qualities to their voices.

America's Top 13 

  • Malaya Watson
  • Ben Briley
  • Emily Piriz
  • Alex Preston
  • Jessica Meuse
  • Dexter Roberts
  • Caleb Johnson
  • Majesty Rose
  • MK Nobilette
  • Sam Woolf
  • Jena Irene – Wild Card
  • Kristen O’Connor – Wild Card
  • CJ Harris – Wild Card
My Top 13

  • Malcolm Allen
  • George Lovett
  • Bria Anai
  • Malaya Watson
  • Majesty Rose
  • Jessica Meuse
  • Caleb Johnson
  • Alex Preston
  • Dexter Roberts
  • Sam Woolf
  • Jena Irene 
  • CJ Harris
  • Emily Piriz






No comments: