Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Top 12 American Idol Season 10: Songs From The Year You Were Born

The show kicked off poignantly with the judges talking about the tragedy in Japan with purchases of tonight's singles going to aid efforts. The theme tonight is "Songs from the Year You Were Born".

01. Naima Adedapo(1984) sang "What's Love Got to do With It" by Tina Turner-- I don't think I loved this because it seems like Naima had trouble this week with the same thing she had trouble with last week. The pitch was just all over the place. Steven said she has a sorcerer's grasp for melody. Jennifer said she was under the pitch and has to work on that. Randy agreed and said you looked hot but the vocals were all over the place.
Score: 6

02. Paul McDonald (1984) sang "I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues" by Elton John-- I could tell that Paul struggled being sick and all but despite all that he has definite potential and sounded good. Jennifer said it sounded so good, you have so much soul, and so much star quality. Randy said the notes were a little pitchy but you make everything you sing your own. Steven said you define a cool dude, I love your swagger, and you have such a distinctive voice.
Score: 8

03. Thia Megia (1995) sang "Colors of the Wind" by Vanessa Williams-- Unfortunately, this was painful for me to listen to. Thia's voice was too small and this just ended up being boring for me. Randy said the vocals were okay, but he found it boring, there was nothing special about it, and it was too safe. Steven asked her to think if this song is really who she is. Jennifer said this was too safe, you need to break out from that, push out of the box.
Score: 5

04. James Durbin (1989) sang "I'll Be There for You" by Bon Jovi-- This wasn't James's best performance but he makes me smile every time he takes the stage. He continues to be passionate and grow in his performance quality. Steven said it was good James but don't get too poppy on me. Jennifer said you make me wanna sing along and you bring so much joy when you're up on the stage. Randy said the high note was very tastefully done, it was a little pitchy, but I liked that you found a way to make it your own.
Score: 9.5

05. Haley Reinhart (1990) sang "I'm Your Baby Tonight" by Whitney Houston-- This is a classic R&B song and Haley strayed too far from that. The melody of the song was lost, and the vocals were far from being on point. Jennifer commented on how beautiful Haley looked. Randy said I'm not sure that you are sure of who you are as an artist. He said that the vocals were okay but it wasn't a great performance. Steven told her to dig into the blues part of her.
Score: 6

06. Stefano Langone (1989) sang "If You Don't Know Me By Now" by Simply Red-- Stefano impressed me with his vocals in his song, he did dig deep and he showed lots of emotion. Randy said this was the best performance of the night, hot vocals! Steven commented on the beautiful phrasing that Stefano put together in his performance. Jennifer loved it and said if he works on his connection with the audience this competition is his.
Score: 10

07. Pia Toscano (1988) sang "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" by Whitney Houston-- Pia is consistent, and arguably the best female singer in this competition. Clearly, she knows who she is as an artist. Steven said, Pia, you took that song over the top. Jennifer said I liked that you gave an upbeat performance this time. Randy said hey everyone Pia is in this competition to win it.
Score: 9

08. Scotty McCreery (1993) sang "Can I Trust You With My Heart" by Travis Tritt-- Scotty is going to be a huge star, and not just in the country world but in general. This kid is crazy good and he knows who he is with no doubts and his vocals are always on. Jennifer likes how Scotty continues to grow and she urged him to keep growing and keep learning. Randy said you did Travis proud and I believe in you. Steven said, you are gonna go places.
Score: 10

09. Karen Rodriguez (1989) sang "Love Will Lead You Back" by Taylor Dane-- Karen showed me tonight why she is in this competition, not only did I enjoy her performance but I thought her vocals were exceptional. Randy said welcome back Karen. Steven said this was tan dolce. Jennifer liked how she attacked it and told her to perform to her strengths.
Score: 9.75

10. Casey Abrams (1991) sang "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana-- This to me was a big risk that paid off big time. I loved this, and it shows me how versatile a performer Casey is. Steven said you're crazy and talented and that's the perfect combination. Jennifer said big shoes to fill, and it was a big risk, it lacked a little bit of intensity at times, but I still love you. Randy said the thing he likes about Casey is he thinks big risk first and commerce second, and he is fearless.
Score: 9.75

11. Lauren Alaina (1994) sang "I'm The Only One" by Melissa Etheridge-- Despite the fact that Lauren is sick she still managed to sound good. This young lady has lots of poise. Jennifer said you kept with the melody of this song, yet you made it your own. Randy said despite being sick he liked what she did this week. Steven said Lauren, you're a shining star; you did it again.
Score: 9

12. Jacob Lusk (1987) sang "Alone" by Heart-- Jacob is back tonight and in top form. I loved his rendition of "Alone", he took it to church like I thought he would. Randy said you lost your way for like two bars but then you found your way back quick. Steven said the gospel had a baby and named it Jacob Lusk. Jennifer said you give yourself completely to every performance.
Score: 9.75

My prediction for the bottom 3: Thia, Naima, and Haley

Power Rankings (after tonight's performances)
1. Scotty
1. Stefano
2. Pia
2. Casey
2. Jacob
3. Karen
3. James
3. Lauren
9. Paul
10. Naima
11. Thia
12. Haley

No comments: