Thursday, March 3, 2011

American Idol Season 10: Top 24

American Idol Season 10 started off by introducing the public to the Top 24 for the first time.

On Tuesday the Top 12 Guys performed and on Wednesday the Top 12 Ladies performed; my overall opinion is that the guys outperformed the ladies by a mile. I will say that the ladies overall are more impressive than past seasons. The guys are more well rounded, they are not just singers but musicians.

These are my predictions for the Top 10 (in random order):
James Durbin
Scotty McCreery
Paul McDonald
Jacob Lusk
Casey Abrams
Ashthon Jones
Karen Rodriguez
Thia Megia
Lauren Alaina
Pia Toscano

These are my Wild Card Picks:
Guys: (will be between these 3)
Tim Halperin
Robbie Rosen
Stefano Langone
Ladies: (will be between these 3)
Naima Adedapo
Kendra Chantelle
Julie Zorilla

Here's a brief recap:

1. Clint Jun Gamboa sang Superstition by Stevie Wonder-- A little bit amateurish to me, it seemed like an amateur wanting to be a star. Jennifer said it was good and worked the nerves out. Randy said it wasn't karaoke.
Score (out of 10, 10 being the best): 6

2. Jovany Bareto sang I'll Be by Edwin McCain-- I liked this but I definitely didn't love it. Edwin McCain is a huge fan of the show and I don't know that he would have liked this. Randy said this felt very karaoke and it was not better than the original.
Score: 5

3. Jordan Dorsey sang OMG! by Usher-- This was painful to listen to and watch, and it's a shame because he chose the wrong song. He should have picked something like What's Goin On by Marvin Gaye or Power of Love by Luther Vandross. Jennifer said the song wasn't you. Randy called it pitchy and all over the place. Steven said this was not my favorite performance of you.
Score: 5

4. Tim Halperin sang Streetcorner Symphony by Rob Thomas-- Steven said the song let him down. Jennifer said the song didn't show people who he is as an artist. Randy echoed the other two judges. Tim sang the chorus strongly but the verses were weak at best.
Score: 7.5

5. Brett Lowenstern sang Light my Fire by The Doors-- This song is way too old for him; he should have been singing something more contemporary. He agreed that there were some problems, especially at the beginning of the performance when asked by the judges.
Score: 7

6. James Durbin sang You Got Another Thing Comin' by Judas Priest-- Steven called it f****n crazy good. Jennifer called it real, natural, and said it comes from the inside. I expected James to be this good because I think he wants it more than most people.
Score: 10

7. Robbie Rosen sang Angel by Sara McLachlin-- Steven said you sing ballads like no one's business. Jennifer said when you sing you tell a story, you are a very special singer. Randy said you never quite settled into the performance. I feel that all the judges were correct.
Score: 8

8. Scotty McCreery sang Letters from Home by John Michael Montgomery-- Steven said you couldn't have picked a better song. Jennifer said you are born to sing country music. Randy said he made a nice choice. I have to say that when I watch Scotty sing and when I hear him, I can tell that he has a great love for singing and music.
Score: 9.5

9. Stefano Langone sang Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars-- Steven said, loved you; you are so good. Jennifer said there's nothing awkward about you up there. Randy said keep in mind we're looking for someone who can be on the radio right now and you have that. I really liked Stefano but I don't think this was the correct choice of song for him. He may make it in based on the girls just loving him.
Score: 8.5

10. Paul McDonald sang Maggie May by Rod Stewart-- Paul sang this song different from Rod Stewart yet he kept the melody of the song. Steven said he loved the character of his voice. Jennifer said I love that you smile when you sing, it was a good performance. Randy said I'm a fan and I don't think we've ever had someone like you in the competition ever before.
Score: 9

11. Jacob Lusk sang A House is Not A Home by Luther Vandross-- Steven said I'm honored to be in your presence, you make me wanna cry, whatever you have, I wanna bathe in it. Randy said I think we're so lucky to have you and you did Luther proud. Jennifer said Luther was my favorite of all time and he's gone, but now we have you, and that's the amazing thing about this show.
Score: 10

12. Casey Abrams sang I Put a Spell on You by Screamin Jay Hawkins-- Casey has the ability to make me smile when he sings no matter what he sings. Steven said in your mind good and ourof your mind real. Jennifer called him sexy and said she could tell he wants this; she loved it. Randy said you tranform yourself into the spirit of the song.
Score: 10

See part 2 for a recap of the ladies performances.

No comments: