Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Top 8 Girls Attempt to Impress on American Idol (Season 7)

01 Asia'h Epperson sang "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" made famous by Whitney Houston. Asia'h totally worked this song from beginning to end. The performance was hot, she sang well, moved well, and her bubbling personality showed that she has loads of confidence.
Score: 5

02 Kady Malloy sang "Who Wants to Live Forever" made famous by Queen. I did not like this song choice for her at all. It was better than last week, but that really isn't saying much. She did better, but did she do enough to stay in the competition? I don't think so.
Score: 3.25

03 Amanda Overmyer sang "I Hate Myself For Loving You" made famous by Joan Jett. Amanda really surprised me this week; I didn't want the performance to be over. Simon said, "if I am being honest, it was fantastic". The song was so perfect for her that it makes me believe that Amanda should be in this Top 12.
Score: 4.75

04 Carly Smithson sang "I Drove All Night" made famous by Roy Orbison, Cyndi Lauper, and Celine Dion. This was a better performance than last week, but I agree with Simon in that once again she chose a song that didn't fully showcase her vocal abilities. It would be really upsetting if she just missed the Top 12 because she didn't quite prove herself.
Score: 4.4

05 Kristy Lee Cook sang "Faithfully" made famous by Journey. I like the country vibe that Kristy gave to this song. I disagree with Simon saying that she is forgetable; I actually see her as one of the more memorable ladies in this competition.
Score: 4

06 Ramiele Malubay sang "Against All Odds" made famous by Phil Collins. I wanted to be more impressed with this performance than I was; I was waiting for Ramiele to think less and just go for it. She can hit those big notes without any question; I do think she has done enough to make the Top 12 though. Just for the record, I did not realize how many previous Idol contestants have sang this song: Scott Savol --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Cqsa6nXf4, Jessica Sierra --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlAh64sUB0o&feature=related, and Katharine McPhee --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Il-ZDaAY4&feature=related .
Score: 4.5

07 Brooke White sang "Love is a Battlefield" made famous by Pat Benatar. I love that the song was unplugged, and that's why it worked for Brooke. She took the song in a completely different direction from the way that it is typically performed. She took a great risk and it turned out in her favor. As a side note, Carrie Underwood performed this song, and it is one of my favorite Idol performances ever! Check it out please ---- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrOo_eH5FM4
Score: 5

08 Syesha Mercado sang "Saving All My Love for You" made famous by Whitney Houston. Syesha got "good" as a comment from every judge; I guess that means she passes. She is a solid singer, probably the most consistent of all the females. She is capable of singing just about anything, even the phone book.
Score: 5 (cause she hit the high notes!)

No comments: