Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Top 10 Dazzle on American Idol Season 7



The Top 10 sang songs from the year they were born.......................

01 Ramiele Malubay sang "Alone" made famous by Heart (1987). Ramiele was sick tonight so does that excuse her? I did not think it was the right song for her to sing; the song was too big for her despite her big voice. Carrie Underwood did this song signficantly better than Ramiele did in American Idol Season 4. Simon thought this was better than last week, I question whether or not that is true.
Score: 3.5

02 Jason Castro sang "Fragile" made famous by Sting (1987). I love Jason's voice; it's so gentle, so you listen to every single word and hang on each syllable. He has really amazing voice control. I disagree with Simon, I do not think it was clumsy or too laid back for that matter. Jason is a creative spirit who stays true to who he is.
Score: 4.7

03 Syesha Mercado sang "If I Were Your Woman" made famous by Stephanie Mills (1987). I completely agreed with what Randy said, this is the best I have ever heard Syesha sound. The performance was heartfelt and sincere and Syesha communicated the song to the audience emotionally. I could not be more pleased that Syesha is back in the competition to win it.
Score: 5
04 Chikezie Eze sang "If Only For One Night" made famous by Luther Vandross (1985). I liked this, but I didn't love it. I agree with Simon and Randy, he should have changed the song to make it sound more current. Chikezie's personality was absent from this performance and so it came across as boring.
Score: 3.9

05 Brooke White sang "Every Breath You Take" made famous by the Police (1983). First off, big improvement over last week! I liked that she realized that she made a mistake and started over. I liked that she utilized the piano and starting the song that way was a smart idea. I disagree with Simon, I enjoyed the fact that the song picked up tempo at the out chorus.
Score: 4.5

06 Michael Johns sang "We Will Rock You" and "We are the Champions" made famous by Queen (1978). Simon said it all when he said, "This is the first time with you (Michael) that I thought star potential". Michael could not have picked better songs; they just fit him perfectly and he used the songs to display his vocal skills. The competition has certainly begun.
I loved Ace Young from Season 5 but Michael did a better job, watch Ace's version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxIX9drMaJI
Score: 5

07 Carly Smithson sang "Total Eclipse of the Heart" made famous by Bonnie Tyler (1983). I actually liked this performance from Carly. It wasn't the best of the night by any means, but I think it was sincere enough. It was the first time I actually came away from one of her performances feeling positive.
Score: 4.25

08 David Archuleta sang "You're the Voice" made famous by John Farnham (1990). The song choice was really strange; I did not get it at all. He sounded good, but I have to agree with Simon; it sounded like an amusement park performance complete with animated creatures in the background.
Score: 3.9

09 Kristy Lee Cook sang "God Bless the U.S.A." made famous by Lee Greenwood (1984). I do have to say I think this was an odd song choice nevertheless it was a good choice for Kristy. Simon called it clever and her best performance to date, and I have to say I agree. She may actually stay in the competition another week due to her own merits.
Score: 4.1

10 David Cook sang "Billie Jean" made famous by Michael Jackson (1982). This is one of the most brilliant performances that has ever taken place on the American Idol stage. David is brave, and he takes risks that turn into creative masterpieces. He is my favorite in the competition right now, and has been for a while. Score: 5

No comments: