Sunday, March 9, 2008

Quest for the perfect match (one in a series of possibly hundreds of rants)

So I have been thinking a lot lately about my social life, or rather lack thereof (I spend more nights at home than I care to admit). I have been going over not only my dating history, but that of so many of my female friends, why is it that when it comes to guys ...... women have many of the same experiences? We hear the same lame excuses, and whenever you fess up and tell a guy how you feel, things never go as planned.

I was thinking recently about one of my first relationships; I was young, naive, and I did not know how to deal with guys. Sometimes I think guys should come with an instruction book (And guys good luck arguing that you need one for us; we're about as self explanatory as humans can get). Moving on with the story, there was one particular situation in which a guy that I was dating was sleeping with an ex girlfriend behind my back, and later I come to find out, other women as well. I was with a female friend on a Friday or Saturday night, and I had previously shared with her that I was having communication problems with my boyfriend. She told me that she thought he was cheating but I didn't believe her. She suggested a great way to see if a guy is cheating on you is to show up at his house one night unexpectedly; so we dressed up like we were headed to the clubs and decided we would stop by his apartment.

As we drove down his street and parked the car, I grew more and more nervous. How could I do this I thought, shouldn't I trust him? And then I answered, I should, but I don't, because too many things have happened to make me doubt him.

We went around the back entrance to the apartment because the roommate who happened to be female had her room at the front entrance. My friend ran up ahead of me and peered into the window, and what she saw changed my thoughts concerning guys forever. She saw him with his ex/ roommate, together, cheating. I paniced, I did not know what I should do. I called him, and this is roughly how the conversation went.

Me: "Baby, what's up? You'll never guess where I am."

Him: "At your house?"

Me: "No, I am out with (my friend), and we're on your street."

Him: "You're on my street? Why?"

Me: "Cause silly, what's wrong? I can't come and visit my boyfriend? We should be there in like two minutes, we're parking."

Him: "You can't come over!"

Me: "What?"

Him: "Well, I mean you can, but not right now, I need a half hour."

Me: "Why a half hour?"

Him: "Because the place is a mess and I am totally not ready for guests."

Me: "You're a guy, you have 10 minutes and then I am coming. I don't care that the place is a mess, I am your girlfriend, I should be able to come over whenever, and you should want me there."

Long story short he agreed to us coming over, and after I hung up, I cried for a few minutes. I quickly collected myself, and the night resumed with an awkward meeting between myself, my friend, the female we saw through the window, and my "boyfriend" at the time. The night ended with the four of us spending a few hours together at a club. I honestly can say I could not wait for the night to be over.

Next situation----

Why is it that if a guy doesn't want to go out with you, he lies about his excuse for not going. If he didn't want to go out with you, why wouldn't he just say I don't want to go out with you tonight or tomorrow or ever or whatever the case may be?

Why is it when you as a woman finally give a man what you think he wants, he backs off and acts all weird? At first he liked you, but you didn't feel the same way, and then you decide that maybe you might feel the same way. Why is it at that point, he decides to question things, second guess himself, confuse the woman?

When a guy is confused why does he try to confuse you also? Ladies I don't think we'll ever know the answer, but we can learn from our experiences.

No comments: