Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Top 12 are Stunning on American Idol (Season 7)

Tonight was The Lennon and McCartney Songbook on American Idol. The Top 12 offered a stunning set of performances, here are the highlights and the lowlights...............

01 Syesha Mercado sang "Got to Get You into My Life" (Revolver, 1966) Earth, Wind, and Fire did a version of this song. I was really confused when she started the song, but she definitely picked it up mid-way through. Her voice really helped her to shine, and Simon was right; she was more original than last week.
Score: 4.4

02 Chikezie Eze sang "She's a Woman" (I Feel Fine, 1964) I really wanted to like it, and I did. I loved, loved the arrangement, and I loved him. He is an underdog in this competition, he took a risk, and it paid off ten fold. The performance was super entertaining from start to finish.
Score: 4.5

03 Ramiele Malubay sang "In My Life" (Rubber Soul, 1965) I liked her vocals but this was by far too safe a performance for this far into the competition. I thought it was too boring; there were so many places that she could have gone with this song, so many melodic changes that could have been made. I agree with Simon when he said it was forgetable and it bored him to tears. The arrangement and the song did not do her justice in the least.
Scorel 2.5

04 Jason Castro sang "If I Fell" (A Hard Day's Night, 1964) I love Jason, and I have really loved and respected him as an artist from the start. He gave a performance that was not only sincere and genuine, but that made an emotional connection with the audience which is quite rare. Paula said you can feel Jason's heart when he sings, and that could not be more true.
Score: 5

05 Carly Smithson sang "Come Together" (Abbey Road, 1969) I thought the song was out of tune at different spots including the very first note. I thought it was ok; I didn't think it was as good as the judges thought it was. I do agree that Carly was visibily more confident, and she did give a strong performance. I did not think she should have been compared to Kelly Clarkson.
Score: 3.9

06 David Cook sang "Eleanor Rigby" (Revolver, 1966) I thought the arrangement was positively HOT! David totally rocked out; there was definitely a Chris Daughtry vibe to the performance. David was, as Simon said, brilliant, and if this remains a talent competition, he could win this thing. He continues to show improvement every week.
Score: 5

07 Brooke White sang "Let it Be" (Let it Be, 1970) The performance was simple and understated. Brooke is so underrated, and yet she is probably the most consistent female contestant this season. The song choice was perfect for her, and Brooke delivered another genuinely heartfelt performance.
Score: 5

08 David Hernandez sang "I Saw Her Standing There" (Please Please Me, 1963) Let's keep this simple and painless; I love David and I love his voice. To be honest, the performance was over done. He tried to do too much and it just about came across as desperate.
Score: 3

09 Amanda Overmyer sang "You Can't Do That" (A Hard Day's Night, 1964) Amanda took this song and turned it into a Southern soul song. She has really turned things around for herself, and I am actually believeing that I am an Amanda fan now.
Score: 4.9

10 Michael Johns sang "Across the Universe" (Let it Be, 1970) It was good, but to be honest, I was expecting more. Michael definitely made a connection with the audience and it was a solid performance. I have to agree with Simon though in that it's frustrating to see someone like Michael that I like so much and is capable of so much better than what he gave tonight and to just be sub-par.
Score: 4

11 Kristy Lee Cook sang "Eight Days a Week" (Beatle's For Sale, 1964) Vocally it was really weak, and I did not understand what she was trying to convey with this performance. It was like being at a ghastly country fair, Simon said, and honestly, that's about right.
Score: 2

12 David Archuleta sang "We Can Work it Out" (Day Tripper, 1965) He has been perfection thus far, and no one is perfect. David Archuleta had an off night; he tried to do the Stevie Wonder performance and it really didn't work. It was a bit of a mess. David is a strong contestant though, he wil bounce back.
Score: 3.8

Overall, tonight goes to the guys; their performances were stronger.

No comments: