Tuesday, March 5, 2024

The Voice Season 25: Week 1, The Blinds Made Me Look

Premiere Night, Episode 1:


Dani Stacey sang I Will Survivor by Gloria Gaynor-- 4 Chair Turn! She deserves it, I love her smoky voice, and her whole fresh new take on a disco classic. She has a unique rock/ folk sound to her voice. She reminded me of like Jewel. The coaches were all standing at the end. Chance used his block on Reba. Reba is disappointed she was blocked because she loved Dani's performance. Dan and Shay love that she knows who she is. Chance called the performance amazing and said he was hyped at the possibility of working with her. Dani went with Team Chance. 



Justin and Jeremy Garcia sang The Story of my Life by One Direction-- Chance, Reba, and Dan and Shay turned around. I need to agree with John on this one. It could have been tighter. I liked it but I would not have turned. I will say, It was commendable that they lost their way and then found their way back. Chance commended them for that. Reba was moved by their humility and they took her back to her childhood. Dan and Shay said they are the perfect team for Justin and Jeremy because they're a duo too. 


Tae Lewis sang Somebody Like You by Keith Urban-- This performance was amazing. I loved the soul and passion that Tae brought to the song. John turned almost immediately. Reba turned right after he did this amazing run. John called Tae's voice electric, Reba said, like John, Wikipedia says she is a "legend" too. Tae ended up choosing Reba. 



Ryan Argast sang Speechless by Dan and Shay-- I L O V E this Dan and Shay song, it's a fave of mine. I loved the texture and gravel in Ryan's voice. Dan and Shay have a chat and decide to turn for Ryan, and they are the only ones who do. They also join him on stage for a chorus of Speechless. 



Nadege sang Get You by Daniel Caesar-- She has such a different style and tone. John and Chance both turned. John loved how stylish her musical choices are. Her name means hope in French. She said her first song she performed was Ordinary People so John got on stage and sang with her. Dan and Shay both said that they cannot imagine Nadege on anyone else's team but John's. Reba said Nadege is going to have a great time with either renegade she chooses. She chose Chance. 


Josh Sanders sang Whiskey on You by Nate Smith-- I am a fan of Nate Smith and I love this song and I loved how Josh held out those notes and there was a lot of power behind them. Dan and Shay said that's a tough song to sing and Nate is our guy. Reba says she loved his vocal and power. Josh said he sings in church. Josh chose Reba. 



OK 3 sang Made You Look by Meghan Trainor-- These girls are awesome! They met through their vocal coach. I loved, not only their voices, but their performance! They are a well deserved four chair turn. John says it felt like a mini concert. John says he used to arrange music for groups and he feels their is a space for a girl group. Dan and Shay say that they are in a group so they relate. Chance says he has had success with a group before. Reba says she loved the harmonies. OK 3 chooses Team Legend. 



Episode 2: 


Nathan Chester sang Take Me to The River by Al Green-- This is one of my fave types of performances. Nathan sounded so throwback to me, he sounded like The Temptations. There was so much gospel influence. I loved the growl in his voice. John turned and then Dan and Shay turned. Chance said he thought Nathan's voice was great but he didn't turn because he had a vision of Nathan being on John's team. John said I turned quickly because I am selective and you've got it. John said having Nathan from Chi Town on my team will be the perfect match. Dan and Shay said John is a beautiful man but we'd love to have you on our team, you're a star. Nathan chose John. 



Maddi Jane sang Escapism by Raye-- Maddi is interesting! I enjoyed her versatility, she was switching between rapping and singing. John, Dan and Shay, and Reba turned quickly, and then Chance turned at the end. Maddi said she is from Chicago and John said he feels at a disadvantage. He said that was so fun to listen to, you're a star, you have such confidence and stage presence. Dan and Shay said she was incredible and worked the stage. Chance said come get on team Chance and she said you're gonna need to do more than that. He said you deserve more than that. He critiqued her breath control, but he said she's a star. Reba said she was surprised to hear her singing voice after hearing her rap. 



Donny Van Slee sang Greatest Love Story by LANCO-- I absolutely LOVED his voice and this song choice for him. This was legit amazing. John says he loved his raspy tone. Donny said he is a big Chance fan and John commented that Chance may have had a chance had he turned. Reba blocked Dan and Shay so since they were the only coaches who turned Donny joined Team Reba. 



Karen Waldrup sang Bye Bye by Jo Dee Messina-- Dan and Shay turned and then they blocked Reba who was the only other chair to turn. I have to be honest and say I was not crazy about this performance, Karen joined Team Dan and Shay. 


Gabriel Goes sang What I Got by Sublime-- Gabriel is a character. He has a unique voice and tone. I enjoyed his spirit. Chance was the only one who turned so he joined Team Chance. I could see him being a dark horse in this competition. 



Gene Taylor sang Lights by Journey-- What an amazing vocalist and artist; this was an incredible performance. John turned first early on, followed by Dan and Shay, Reba, and then Chance. These four chair turn contestants are incredible. John said you had so much finesse and that was so expertly done. John said you and I working together could go far. Dan and Shay said you have so much power and control, you're such a pro. Chance said I was last to turn because I was so invested, your town is so different. Reba said you were working the crowd. Gene chose John. 



No comments: