Monday, May 4, 2020

The Voice Season 18: The Top 17 Are Stronger

17 perform tonight, only 9 will move forward tomorrow.

Team Nick:

Thunderstorm Artis sang Summertime-- John thought Thunderstorm was magical. I have to say this was a little too lethargic for me. I thought it was interesting with the whistling but I didn't love it. I will be listening to see what everyone else does. At the beginning he was definitely finalist material and tonight I am not so sure.



Allegra Miles sang New York State of Mind by Billy Joel-- Blake said great job sis. Nick said Allegra you have been a force since day one. With this performance from your home, you owned it and brought it, this was your best performance. Oh my gosh! Allegra is exquisite, I literally had tears in my eyes listening to her. She is so moving and her tone is just so rich. This was a home run in my opinion.



Arei Moon sang Finesse by Bruno Mars-- Nick said he loved the 90s influence she brought and said she killed it. Okay, I love Arei, but I feel like next to some other contestants she was out of her league. It wasn't karaoke but, at the same time, she didn't really make it her own.



Roderick Chambers sang Lost Without You by Robin Thicke-- John said you go between your head voice and chest voice effortlessly. Nick said you needed to know where you were going to go every step of the way. I am excited to see what happens because I think this performance was going to blow up on Twitter. Roderick has been one of my personal favorites since the first time I heard him, and I am really hoping he has the opportunity to make it to the finals. I thought this was a great song choice for Roderick and he transitioned through this song with such ease.



Michael Williams sang Sign of the Times by Harry Styles-- Kelly said that was so cool, I love your look, and love your sound. I think you're the rock and roll vibe of this show. Nick said we picked this song, and Harry is a stylist with this vocal and set the bar high and you did great with this song. Michael was my pick for the four way knockout so I was thrilled to see him advance. Initially I was a little bored with this song choice but his vocals and his sincerity with each song he tackles turns me into a believer every time.



Team Legend:

Zan Fiskum sang Blowing in the Wind by Bob Dylan-- Kelly said that is the best version of that song I have ever heard. I do have to say, I like how she took that song and made it timeless. The song soared instead of dragged.



Mike Jerel sang All My Life by K-Ci and Jo-Jo-- John said I loved your creativity and how you made it your own. He liked the runs he added and the chords. Oh boy, I loved Mike's blind audition and I don't think he has ever topped that. I wanted this to be stronger and more passionate.



Mandi Castillo sang Corre-- John said you make me so proud, you have a beautiful tone and verbrato and you're so humble. I did not care for that performance. It was a little lost on me, I feel like she had to do something at this stage of the competition that was more mainstream.



Camm Wess sang Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers-- Kelly said Camm you are such a solid singer and artist. John said you nailed this song and knocked it out of the park, your tone is honey butter. John also shouted out the great Bill Withers who we recently lost.  Loved this performance, Camm's vocal tone is so good.





Team Kelly:

Megan Danielle sang Anyone by Demi Lovato-- Kelly said you're so special, your tone, and how you can float through different genres. I know Demi probably heard that. She started off a little off key. Megan did improve as the song went on, and she ended really strong. She could go far if she gets past tonight.



Mandi Thomas sang I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack-- Kelly said she loves Mandi's vibe and that she can sing anything. I love Mandi but I didn't think that was very good. I don't think that song did a great job of showcasing all Mandi has to offer as a vocalist.



Micah Iverson sang Your Song by Elton John-- Blake said you go from a softer tone to these bigger notes, and I am happy for you man. Kelly said you're incredible, thanks for picking me. Micah was honestly one of the stronger contestants tonight. That Elton John song is not easy and he made it sound that way, gorgeous vocals from a technical standpoint.



Cedrice sang Everything I Wanted by Billie Eilish-- You're so crazy cool, you don't need a show, you're a stand alone artist and human being. Cedrice remains very different, I adore her authenticity and originality. Her voice is amazing. Her vibe reminds me a little of Sade.



Team Blake:

Toneisha Harris sang Stronger by Kelly Clarkson-- John said you are a phenomenal singer, so impressive. Blake said all right, yes! Yes! I think that's the best of the night so far. Kelly said if you need a backup singer call me. I loved this! She is one of the strongest vocalists on this show. Finalist material right there!



Joei Fulco sang Runaway by DelShannon-- Nick said your voice is so fun to listen to, so unique and so special. You owned this and made it special. Blake said I don't know why Nick didn't get you on his team. You have this buzz in your voice that is so unique. She flipped this song on it's side. She made it country, she made it blues, and she brought it to now. I loved this, she's got to move forward.



Joanna Serenko sang Rich Girl by Hall & Oates-- Kelly said that was a cool song choice for you and you have a captivating spirit. Blake said Joanna you didn't change the song too much but your voice is so different that it became your song. What I enjoy about Joanna is her soulfulness. I don't know who she reminds me of, maybe Paula Cole a little bit. She is so good.



Todd Tilghman sang Glory of Love by Peter Cetera-- Blake said that was incredible, you're one of my favorite artists I have worked with on the show, you're so fun to be around.  I thought that was going to be cheesy as all hell but that was amazing.



Top 9 (my predictions in no particular order)

Toneisha Harris
Allegra Miles
Roderick Chambers
Camm Wess
Megan Danielle
Cedrice
Todd Tilghman
Joanna Serenko
last spot-- toss up between-- Zan Fiskum, Michael Williams, and Joei Fulco


No comments: