Wednesday, May 13, 2020

American Idol: The Top 7 Sing Disney and Songs for their Moms

The top seven were decided on Sunday night on American Idol, and I was a little discouraged with the results. Two ladies and five guys ended up being chosen. I just think there were some people that moved forward that maybe should not have-- Dillon James had not been great for several weeks. Jonny West--- I know the judges are sold but I'm not.

Last night's performances came in two rounds. Round one was Disney songs and round two was songs inspired by mom in honor of Mother's Day. The Disney round was king of lame to be honest. I love Disney songs, but I am kind of tired of the shameless Disney plugs every two seconds on ABC. The second round for me is what sold me on several of these artists. The song choices were thoughtful and heartfelt.

Arthur Gunn-- sang Kiss the Girl from The Little Mermaid and Hey Ma by Bon Iver-- First performance was sound, not great, but safe. Second performance bled authenticity. I do think he is going to make the top five, he just sounds unlike anyone else. Forget the Phillip Phillips comparisons. Arthur sounds like no one else.



Just Sam-- sang A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes by Cinderella and I Turn to You by Christina Aguilera-- I was not into either performance. Every week I hear her she sounds good, but she does not seem to connect with the songs or emote in any way. I think she is in danger of going home next week.

Jonny West-- sang Almost There from The Princess and the Frog and Amazing Grace-- I full expected him to go home this week, but I am glad he didn't. This week I saw so much from him. His performances felt inspired, he connected to the songs, and was true to himself as an artist. I believe he will stick around.

Louis Knight-- sang Can You Feel the Love Tonight from The Lion King and You've Got a Friend by James Taylor and Carole King-- This was probably his weakest couple of performances in a while. I felt like he lost focus and was off pitch, especially in the first performance. He improved on the second performance and it should be enough for him to go through because a couple of people were a little bit weaker than he was.

Julia Gargano-- sang Beauty and the Beast and Sweetest Devotion by Adele-- Julia has not missed a beat in this competition. She has been one of the strongest performers and vocalists from day one. Her first performance this week was a miss for me. Her vocals were too low, it needed to be in a different key. The second performance was her ticket into the finale. It was one of the best performances of the night.



Francisco Martin-- sang You're in My Heart from Tarzan and River by Leon Bridges-- Francisco has by far been my favorite contestant this season and this was his best performances to date. He has not taken one wrong turn. Both of his performances were equally amazing. He has a sincerity that comes through every time he sings. He also shines as a storyteller because he believes fully in what he is singing about.



Dillon James-- sang Our Town from Cars and Hang On Hang On by Amos Lee-- This is so hard because a couple weeks ago, I felt like he should have gone home for losing his authenticity. Now I feel like he's grown, but is it enough? Is it fair for him to stay around when others have been more consistent throughout the competition than he has? He regrouped without question and got his authenticity back.

My top 5:

Francisco (potential winner)
Julia (potential winner)
Jonny
Arthur (potential winner)
last spot is between Louis and Dillon

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/americanidol

**My top three performances of the night are posted.









No comments: