Monday, May 15, 2017

The Voice Season 12: The Top 8 Take me to the King

Team Gwen: Hunter Plake sang With or Without You by U2-- I liked this song on Hunter; I liked that for once he didn't change the song dramatically. Blake said that is your best vocal performance on the show. You honored the original, but you don't sound like anyone else. Gwen wants America to realize how talented Hunter is.

Duet: Chris Blue and Vanessa Ferguson sang If I Ain't Got You by Alicia Keys-- Beautiful duet, this song fit both of them so well. All the coaches were on their feet, that was a vocal master class! Yay for being able to vote for that duet and have it count!

Team Blake: T Soul sang Ain't No Way by Aretha Franklin-- I like that T Soul returned to his roots last week and stayed there this week. This song and his whole performance was so throw back and I loved the soulfulness. Alicia said Ain't No Way is one of my all time favorite songs ever, T Soul you have a showmanship that comes from you. Blake said I am so proud of you, you told me about your dream to be on The Voice and here you are in the semi finals.

Team Gwen: Brennley Brown sang Suds in the Bucket by Sara Evans-- Loved Ms. Brennley's attitude in this song. It was a little strange that she did a song so niche like this in the semifinals. I would have done this a couple weeks ago. Blake thought it was the right time for her to do that song. Gwen thinks it is easier to do an emotional song than to do a song like the one Brennley did tonight. Yes, and no Gwen, I don't completely agree with that. Doing an emotional song forces you to be vulnerable if you're doing it correctly. And if you're not, you come across as fake or forced instead of emotional.

Duet: Hunter Plake and Aliyah Moulden sang Let it Go by James Bay-- Liked the song idea, however, the performance itself sounded like there were some pitch issues.

Team Blake: Lauren Duski sang Ghost in this House by Allison Krauss-- This was yet another haunting performance by Lauren. It felt really and she yet again showed us she is a skilled storyteller. Adam said grace and simplicity is going out of style, and it's so great to see you do just that. Blake said that is a pure country song, and I cannot wait to see how country music fans respond to it on iTunes.

Duet: T Soul and Jesse Larsen sang I Wish by Stevie Wonder-- That was the best duet yet! I loved the soul, the beat, the syncopation. It was flawless.

Team Alicia: Chris Blue sang Take me to the King-- The vocal was a tiny bit out of control at times, but when he reigned it in it was thoughtful, real, and passionate. It was a genuine plea, "take me to the king". Alicia said you represent our frustrations, troubles, and pain; you tapped into that. You got out of your way, that was so moving.

Team Alicia: Vanessa Ferguson sang Superstar by Leon Russell-- This song and this performance could not have been more perfect and touching. Vanessa put her own spin on this song and really made it her own. Her phrasing was just beautiful. Alicia begged everyone to vote for Vanessa.

Duet: Lauren Duski and Brennley Brown sang Good Hearted Woman by Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson-- Fun performance, not the best of the night for the duets, but certainly entertaining.

Team Adam: Jesse Larsen sang I Was Wrong by Chris Stapleton-- This performance was Jesse's stamp in the finale. If he doesn't make it, it just won't be right. This vocal and performance absolutely bled authenticity and realness. There was soul for days.

Team Blake: Aliyah Moulden sang I Can Only Imagine by MercyMe-- Aliyah looked like she was soaking this performance in and relishing every moment. She looked so happy and so free, this was a great song choice for her. This young lady may have solidified her spot in the final as well. Blake said I signed up to do this show in Season 11, and I hoped that someday I would get to work with an artist like you. Someone who we can see development and growth, and that is you.

No comments: