Monday, October 3, 2011

Miss V's Kitchen

Last week, I put a question on my Facebook page for my blog about what all of my readers wanted me to write about next, and food was the winner. You asked, and now I have delivered. I've been thinking about Fall for the past few weeks, it is now beginning to feel undeniably like Fall in New England. Something about this season makes me feel like getting into the kitchen and cooking something. There's a certain warmth to the kitchen, it's a gathering place for family and friends, complete with delicious food and drinks, well thought conversations and laughter.

Being raised in a predominantly Italian family, I, more than most people, understand the importance of the use of a food as a means of not just evoking the smiles of those gathered around the table, but really, as a means of bringing people together. I have always said the best meals are the ones that are home cooked or taste home cooked.

So besides Fall coming in full force, it's also time to think about the upcoming holidays (i.e. Thanksgiving, Chanukah, Christmas). I have often thought of making my own jams, jellies, preserves, relishes, chutneys, pickles, sauces, etc., but I have never actually done it. Making my own canned/ jarred goods is on my to do list before the year is up. Please make sure that if you do decide to make your own of any of the above list that you consult the National Center for Home Food Preservation.



I also love this website because there are illustrations that show you how the canning process works: Canning Fun!

Now to some recipes you may want to try:

I love the recipes on the Diabetic Lifestyle Page, especially for those who cannot or do not want to have a lot of sugar in their diets.

If you like Southern Food, there is a whole listing of recipes here that will surely make your mouth water.

The All Recipes website will give you a daily canning recipe of some sort so you'll never be without something to make, and guess what? The recipes are brought to you by Ball who makes those great jar and lids that you can use for canning, and they're submitted by other canners from all over the country!

Happy canning everyone! If you have a recipe that you'd like to share please go to my Miss V's Voice Facebook Page and post it, I may share it on my blog. Most importantly, can with a family member or friend, it's great fun, or so it appears to be. ;-)


No comments: