Saturday, July 9, 2011

So You Think You Can Dance Season 8 . . . . . So Far

I have been mesmerized by So You Think You Can Dance this season. Just when I believed I could not be more impressed after last season's class of amazing dancers, we get yet another amazing group, a good mix of energetic young, and better with age.

Last week was tough for me with the elimination of two of my favorite dancers--- 31 year old hip hop dancer, Robert "Whoo" Taylor Jr. and his partner contemporary dancer 19 year old Miranda Maleski. I was personally shocked that these two ended up in the bottom three, Robert has a wonderful personality and Miranda is such a beautiful soul.
This week two more stunning dancers, Chris Koehl and Ashley Rich were eliminated. Although they were not the weakest dancers, they were arguably the two weakest that ended up in the bottom three. I am sad to see them go though because they did have good chemistry together.


I have so enjoyed this season that I decided to highlight some of my favorite dances so far.

Week 1 (June 15, 2011)

Jordan and Tadd-- Afro Jazz choreographed by Sean Cheesman, music: Riding the Waves Afro Sound Celt System-- Nigel said if that's African Jazz, I love it. Jordan, you were in your element; you're an outstanding dancer and you didn't let yourself down. Tadd, you're a hip hop dancer, if you keep picking up different styles like that, you're gonna be around for a long time.
This dance was so fun to watch because they made it look so easy but, yet you could tell that this dance had lots of intricacies to it.

Melanie and Marko-- Contemporary choreographed by Travis Wall, music: Turn to Stone by Ingrid Michaelson-- Mary called it amazing, perfect performance, great chemistry, and amazing artistry. Megan Mullally said it was one of those special performances. Nigel echoed the chemistry and called Melanie the "queen of the beasts".
I love this partnership and look forward to seeing so many more of their dances.

No one was eliminated at the end of this week.

Week 2 (June 22, 2011)

Caitlynn and Mitchell-- Contemporary choreographed by Stacey Tookey, music: Turning Tables by Adele-- Mary said it was amazing and called the chemistry great. Debbie Reynold called it beautiful and Nigel really felt their souls in the dance.
For some reason, this dance really got to me, I loved the story and I fully believed the two people telling it.

Miranda and Robert-- Hip-Hop choreographed by Nappy Tabs, music: Break Ya Neck by Busta Rhymes-- Mary liked it and felt Robert did an amazing job with the choreography. She said Miranda took it to another level. Debbie called the dance mesmerizing. Nigel called Miranda the best contemporary dancer to do hip hop, and he said Robert put his dance where his mouth is.
This really stood out for me as one of the best dances so far, and I am sure it will hold up as one of the best throughout the season. I am so sorry that Miranda and Robert have been eliminated.

Jordan and Tadd-- Viennese Waltz choreographed by Jean Marc Genereux, music: Fade Into Me by David Cook-- Nigel said it was just beautiful and called Jordan's flow sensational. He said, Tadd, you're a b-boy and you came up trumps. Mary called Tadd the biggest surprise of the season, and that she's proud of him. Mary said Jordan was just beautiful.
I have to say this dance is usually the kiss of death in this competition, but this was so lovely. This is another partnership that I really love.

Melanie and Marko-- Jazz choreographed by Mandy Moore, music: Sing with a Swing DKS-- Mary said they're so good and Debbie called them the musical stars of today. Nigel called them a perfect combination.
I think this is one of those couples that is incredible to watch every week.

Sasha and Alexander-- Hip-Hop choreographed by Nappy Tabs, music: Coming Home by Diddy Dirty Money featuring Skylar Grey-- Debbie Reynolds said you danced beautifully and told us a story. Mary said she felt Sasha's anguish. Nigel said you showed the passion that will come from military family reunions.
This was a very touching piece, but Sasha and Alexander need to keep pushing of they may find themselves eliminated sooner rather than later.

Ashley and Chris-- Broadway choreographed by Spencer Liff, music: Please Mr. Jailer by Rachel Sweet-- Nigel loved the creativity of the routine and said Chris was fantastic. He said, Ashley, I hope the next time that they put me in jail, you come to visit me sweetheart. Chris agreed. Mary put them on the hot tamale train and said it was sensational.
It makes me sad to think about this routine because it was so great, and after I saw it, I thought, this couple is going to be around for a long time. This was so much potential in this routine.

Eliminated: Wadi & Missy and Nick & Iveta

Week 3 (June 29, 2011)

Melanie and Marko-- Lyrical Hip-Hop choreographed by Nappy Tabs, music: I Got You by Leona Lweis-- Lil C called this duo a power couple. Nigel said this was a brilliant concept and you guys are the couple to beat. Mary said you guys knock out special performances every week. Marko, you had raw emotion, and Melanie, you were just in the pocket on every move. Guest judge Kristin Chenoweth said you are the epitome of the language I speak.
This was just a super beautiful routine that I could even see being up for an Emmy.

Ryan and Ricky-- Contemporary choreographed by Sonya Tayeh, music: With Every Heartbeat (Remix) by Robyn-- Kristin called it beautiful. Lil C said you guys have seven hours to do this, this is phenomenal; buckness! Nigel said Ricky I couldn't take my eyes off you, incredible. Ryan, you delivered tonight, I'm glad we kept you. Mary appreciated the difficulty of this routine.

Jordan and Tadd-- Hip-Hop choreographed by Nappy Tabs, music: Memories by David Guetta-- Lil C loved the concept, loved the execution: greatness. Nigel said he loved it and it was great fun. Mary said you guys have great stage presence. Kristin said that routine was like dessert and I loved every bite.

Eliminated: Miranda and Robert

Week 4 (July 6, 2011)

Melanie and Marko-- Jazz choreographed by Ray Leeper, music: Americano by Lady Gaga-- Travis commended Marko's strength and called Melanie his favorite dancer this year. Guest judge Carmen Electra said they are such a passionate couple. Mary echoed Carmen's sentiment.
Once again, this couple does not fail to reinvent themselves and rise above the occasion.

Clarice and Jess-- Contemporary choreographed by Justin Giles, music: Light Through the Branches by Celeste Lear-- Travis said the chemistry was honest and he felt them come alive. He said it was his favorite routine of theirs this season. Mary said their partnership has become stronger every week.
I agree with the judge's this couple has become stronger every week, and I was really impressed with their performance, it's like I saw them for the first time.

Caitlynn and Mitchell-- Contemporary choreographed by Mandy Moore, music: To Love You More by Celine Dion-- Travis called Caitlynn the surprise of the season, and said Mitchell was unbelievable. Mary and Nigel both called it the performance of the night. The judge's were all on their feet.
This routine gave me goosebumps, I was just so touched by their ability and raw emotion.

Eliminated: Ashley and Chris

No comments: