Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Top 7 Go To The Movies on American Idol Season 8

Tonight Quentin Tarantino was the mentor, and the judges promised to keep it short and sweet so the show wouldn't run overtime last week causing millions of fans to miss Adam Lambert's rendition of "Mad World".

01 Allison Iraheta sang "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" made famous by Aerosmith from the movie Armageddon-- I really enjoyed the way Allison sang and performed this song. Paula is correct in saying that Allison is authentic and she refuses to compromise that. Simon believes that she has a chance of going all the way through to the end of the competition.
Score: 4.75

02 Anoop Desai sang "Everything I Do I Do It For You" made famous by Bryan Adams from the movie Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves-- The past couple of weeks, Anoop has really come through and found his niche in the competition. Kara said that the melody changes he made were good, and I agree. The vocals had great control and I thought it sounded strong.
Score: 4.75

03 Adam Lambert sang "Born To Be Wild" made famous by Steppenwolf from the movie Easy Rider-- I like Adam and I am even beginning to think he is our modern day Mick Jagger. My criticism would be that at times his vocals come across as a little bit too theatrical. Paula called him fantastic and Simon joked that he needs to learn how to express himself more.
Score: 4.5

04 Matt Giraud sang "Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman" made famous by Bryan Adams from the movie Don Juan DeMarco-- I look forward to every week when Matt sings, and I did appreciate what he was trying to do with this song. There were a lot of pitchy areas throughout the performance; he tried to change the melody and since there were some mistakes along the way, it didn't work. He needed a masterpiece, and unfortunately, it wasn't it.
Score: 4.2

05 Danny Gokey sang "Endless Love" made famous by Lionel Ritchie from the movie Endless Love-- I thought that the beginning was a little but rough; there were some pitchy spots. Mid way through the song, Danny kicked it up a notch, and I could tell that this song meant something to him on an emotional level. I loved the way he ended this song, the last 30-40 seconds sounded amazing, the way that the song built right up til the end was so clever.
Score: 4.8

06 Kris Allen sang "Falling Slowly" made famous by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova from the movie Once-- The judges were split on this and so was I. I love Kris, I love his unique vocal ability and what he brings to a performance on an emotional level. The problem is I did not love the song for him. Kris sang it well, and he sang it with great emotion, but the song itself was too obscure for the Idol stage.
Score: 4.5

07 Lil Rounds sang "The Rose" made famous by Bette Midler from the movie The Rose-- I agree once again with Simon; Lil lost me with this performance and not in a good way. I had high expectations for her with this song and it did not work out; I love that Lil tried to infuse this song with some gospel sound. There were issues beyond all that though, and I think Lil may find herself out of this competition.
Score: 3.9

No comments: