Saturday, November 10, 2007

Confessions of a Retail Worker

This is a new series of posts that could be or are possibly work related; whenever I feel the need to rant about my job (and on the unique occasion rave) I will be doing so here on my blog. People's names will be replaced with a letter, for example someone named "Mary" would be "M" or "Ms. M" etc.

Last week, we had this huge sale at work; it was Saturday night and my day was winding down. I could not wait to quickly and quietly escape the sale (I ultimately ended up leaving over an hour after my shift was over!). A customer approached me, and asked me for information on her in store credit card account. I asked her if she just needed to pay a bill because I could take the payment for her, and she said no. She then said I need to know the balance on my account; I told her I did not have access to that information, and that she would need to inquire with customer service. She seemed perfectly content with my response and was on her way.

About half an hour following my encounter with this customer, the customer service supervisor, Ms. McC came downstairs and asked me if I sent a customer to customer service to pay a bill. I asked, "why do you ask?" The customer said a thin woman with glasses sent her to pay her bill in customer service (as a side note, I would like to know why I am never described as an "attractive" young woman, why am I always thin with glasses? Does my weight and my vision impairment define me?), Ms. McC replied. I said no I did NOT. However, I did send someone to customer service who told me that she needed information on her account. I asked Ms. McC, do you really think I would do something like that? Do you think I am so lazy that I would not walk ten feet to a register and take a payment? Oh no she said I didn't mean to imply that at all. I mean I am not implying that she said, cowardishly. I said oh okay I just wanted to make sure.

She then proceeded to tell me that we can take account payments to which I replied, "I am very aware of that" (I have worked there for ten years). In fact, if I see a customer walking with an account statement, I ask them if they need to make a payment. I then told Ms. McC that I would hope that if I had a line of people waiting to check out with their purchases that if someone was also waiting in line with an account payment that she would not think I was wrong for sending them to customer service so they would not have to wait in line or in as long or timely a line. She had no reply to this and said "I just wanted to know what was going on". "Right", I replied.

No comments: