Sunday, November 11, 2007

Confessions of a Retail Worker

Today: by far one of the worst of my retail career.

Part I:

It started out with me talking to my boss over the phone because it was his day off. How I ended up calling him is a long story that had absolutely nothing to do with me. I was angry about a conversation that he and I had in his office the day before. He chewed me up and spit me out about a "mystery shop" that I failed; for all those that do not know let me explain the "mystery shop" concept because it is really a sneaky, underhanded, sleazy thing for a retail company to do to its employees. They pay someone (usually a third party but not always) to come into the store and basically test you to see if you are doing every miniscule aspect of your job correctly. Apparently this woman who tested me felt the need to lie because she said that I never asked her if she wanted to open a credit card. It's ironic how I remember everything, what she was wearing (jeans and a puffy army green jacket), what she bought (2 illume soy candles, fig), what register I was working on (terminal: 698), and the total ($33.58). It's also ironic that everyone "tested" on the day I was "tested" failed also. Interesting! Perhaps the company is being dishonest because they want us to push more in opening instore accounts (as if it already isn't a burden already, nevermind the fact that we are responsible for driving the public further and further into debt). Perhaps it is because the woman who was testing us was having a bad day and felt like taking it on innocent retail workers.

Whatever the reason, management would gladly take the word of a third party over me or just about any other employee for that matter, and at the end of the day: no one cares what the retail worker has to say. Maybe we can change that.

No comments: