Monday, July 8, 2013

My Favorite Things: July 2013

Devious Maids on Lifetime, Sunday's at 10pm-- I've only watched the first two episodes so far but I am already hooked on this addictive drama centered around Latina maids and the families that they work for.

I love the characters, and the cast is impressive.



The maids:

Ana Ortiz (Hilda on Ugly Betty) plays Marisol Duarte, the educated maid who everyone is eager to get to know better. Unknown to everyone else, she is trying to get her son off for Flora's murder in the first episode. She works for the Powell's (husband Adrian raped Flora) and the Stappord's.

Dania Ramirez play Rosie Falta, the sweet yet sassy mom who is trying to bring her young son to the U.S. from Guadalajara. She is widowed so she came here to make a better life for her son. She works for the Westmore's and recently discovered that wife Peri is cheating on her husband Spence. Rosie is torn about revealing the truth.

Roselyn Sanchez (Elena Delgado on Without a Trace) plays Carmen Luna, the sexy maid who wants to be a singer. She was hurt in the past and doesn't feel ready for another relationship. She works for Alejandro Rubio played by Matt Cedeno (Brandon Walker on Days of Our Lives). Sam, who works with Carmen, has a wicked crush on her.

Edy Ganem plays Valentina Diaz, a teenager with strong character. She works with her mom Zoila played by Judy Reyes (Carla on Scrubs) at the Delatour house. Valentina wants to go to school to be a designer, and is head over heels for Genevieve Delatour's (Susan Lucci of All My Children) son Remi who just moved back home from school. Zoila is dependable and gives her daughter plenty of tough love when it comes to her wanting a relationship with Remi. She believes that the rich boy will never fall for the help.

Method Liquid Hand Soap in Fig & Rhubarb $3.95-- What smells absolutely delicious, keeps your hands clean, and is naturally derived? This soap!



Hello! Folded Cards by Felix Doolittle 8 for $18.00-- Hello!, it's exactly the product I always look for and it has amazing Felix Doolittle imagery. The idea of colors matched with themes is ingenious as is the fun packaging. The $18 price point allows FD fans who normally don't buy the product to get a box of cards at a fabulous price. My faves include-- Lantern, Daydream, Beachcombing, Movie Night, and Celebration ..... oh wait, actually, I like them all.



Skechers GOWalk's -- Never ever have my feet felt so good after being on them for eight hours and I owe it all to Skechers GOWalk's. No this is not an advertisement. I have bad feet, always have, probably always will, these shoes are a savior, they come in many different colors and styles, and if you work in retail, they pass for shoes instead of sneakers.

GOWalk Women
GOWalk Men

Not to knock Skechers at all, but you can get a great deal on them at Famous Footwear.



Marimekko Ritva-- When I first saw the new bedding at Crate & Barrel, I thought, oh no, more of the same, until I fell in love when I saw Ritva. The colors are so fresh and the design is so bold and inspired. I just know that my bedding collection will not be complete if I don't add this to it. The wonderful thing about it is that it could be used year around, there's really no specific season for Ritva, and I think women and men alike will appreciate the versatility.




Get Lucky by Daft Punk Featuring Pharrell and Treasure by Bruno Mars-- I know everyone is talking about Blurred Lines By Robyn Thicke featuring Pharrel and T.I. and Mirrors by Justin Timberlake but I much prefer the 70's inspired beats in Get Lucky and Treasure. Is it just me or is that old school Motown sound back and better than ever? Pharrell, anything he touches lately, turns to gold, Get Lucky is so old school and infectious I could listen all day. I went to see Bruno Mars a few weeks ago, and he reminds me of why I really love music. Treasure is sweet with simple lyrics and a positive message in a sea of sex and violence that is today's music scene.



n.b. I could not find an official video for Get Lucky















No comments: