Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Lakoda Rayne Moves On, While Astro Just Loses It on The X Factor

Last week was "ROCK" week on The X Factor which meant that each contestant had to sing a rock song, not necessarily sing it in a rock style. L.A. Reid, I just wanted to clear that up for you since you seemed to question how everyone chose to sing their rock song with the exception of your boys, two of whom rapped.

LeRoy Bell sang "Why Don't You Stay" by Bob Seger-- He was up first last week, which I initially thought would be the kiss of death; however, it actually turned out to be good for him. This was one of his strongest performances ever; I think it was because it sat in that comfy zone of his voice. It utilized that Michael Bolton like rasp that I just find to be irresistible. With the exception of Nicole, the judges thought that LeRoy needed to find more connection with the audience, and "be" more like a star.

Rachel Crowe sang "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones-- While all the judges seemed to think this was a great performance and gave Rachel a standing ovation, I think it has been the weakest of all her performances thus far. I appreciate Rachel's effort always, but this was not the right song for her.

Chris Rene sang "No Woman No Cry" by Bob Marley-- It wasn't my favorite but I hated the fact that the judges debated whether or not this was a rock song because it was one of the best rock songs ever written. I wish Chris would try to be a little more consistent in staying true to his hip hop roots.

Stacy Francis sang "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" by Meatloaf-- For me, this was the weakest performance of the night which is why I think Stacy ultimately went home. After her first audition, everything started to feel overdone.

Melanie Amaro sang "Everybody Hurts" by REM-- I felt like this was a brilliant choice of song for Melanie. It showed a vulnerable side of her but a part of her remains guarded. I hope that in the coming weeks, she lets her guard down as Paula noted and that she opens herself to her fans.

Josh Krajcik sang "The Pretenders" by The Foo Fighters-- Josh has a unique voice, so much so that it will carry him far beyond this competition. He's so special, so low key, yet when he hits the stage it's unparalleled. I liked several performances on this night, but this was the only true rock performance.

Astro rapped to "I'll Be Missing You" by Puff Daddy, Faith Evans, and 112-- I have to say that it's impressive for this 14 year old kid come on every week, and to be doing an original rap with samples of popular singles. He has loads of creativity, but he struggled personally and emotionally when he was in the bottom two with Stacy Francis. Simon exchanged words with Astro after he felt it was unnecessary to come out and sing for his survival. Simon told him that he didn't like his attitude and that he was being disrespectful to his mom and the show.

Lakoda Rayne sang "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac-- It would have been great if they would have come out a little bit stronger than the breadth of this performance but these girls come out and improve every week. If they continue growing like this, they may stay in this competition longer than expected. This was a bit mediocre with harmonies that could have been stronger.

Drew sang "With or Without You" by U2-- Drew always turns in a stunning performance and this particular one was no exception. I do agree with the comment that several judges gave which was that it would be great if Drew could sing an uptempo song just to show some versatility.

Marcus Canty sang "Piece of My Heart" by Janis Joplin-- Marcus is the ultimate performer in this competition, it's clear that he belongs on a stage. However, I don't think that this was the right song for him, and I didn't like how they sexed up the song. Simon recognized it and said it was him pretending to be someone else.

No comments: