Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Top 7 Glitter on American Idol

The Final 7 sang songs from Mariah Carey's songbook, and this is how I felt it all played out.

01 David Archuleta sang "When You Believe". This is a huge songm and I thought the arrangement did not do the song justice. David can sing anything though, and so he took a sub- par arrangement and turned it into a great performance. He is one of those people that could sing the phone book and it would sound great. I do not think it was as good as the judges thought though.
Score: 4.3

02 Carly Smithson sang "Without You". Going into this song, I felt like it was all wrong for Carly; it's not an inspiring song, it's sad. I thought that although her vocals were solid, the performance did not move me at all. The beginning was a bit too treacherous, and she relied too much on the bridge of the song to pull her through. She overthought the song, held back, and it lacked emotion. Sorry Carly.
Score: 3.9

03 Syesha Mercado sang "Vanishing". I think it was intelligent to sing a track from Mariah's repetoire that is not well known. Technically, the song was sung brilliantly and Syesha turned what could have been a very dull performance into a very magical one.
Score: 4.75

04 Brooke White sang "Hero". This was a great choice of song for Brooke. I love how she played the piano; I thought that gave the song a brand new spin. I agree with Paula, Brooke stayed true to who she is as an artist. She did speed up the song at the end which was not very good. I do admire her for her authenticity.
Score: 4.25

05 Kristy Lee Cook sang "Forever". This was the perfect Mariah song for Kristy Lee to sing. I enjoyed her performance, and I think part of the reason is because Kristy gave it that country feel, which was smart on her part. I completely disagree with Simon saying that parts of it were whiny; I didn't feel that way at all. She did a great job connecting with the song.
Score: 4.6

06 David Cook sang "Always Be My Baby". This is David summed up by the judges: Randy called him a hot recording artist, Paula said the song could be on a movie soundtrack, and Simon said it was like coming out of karaoke hell into fresh air. It had more originality than all the other contestants before him combined. Simon used the word daring and I couldn't agree more. David dares to take risks every single week without fail and that is what makes him stand out.
Score: 5

07 Jason Castro sang "I Don't Wanna Cry". Paula called it amazing and Simon agreed. She also added that she could listen to Jason all night. The song and the arrangement completely stayed in line with who Jason is as an artist. His falsetto was right on, and the vibe of the song, and the vocals overall were not comparable to anyone else-- amazing.
Score: 5

No comments: