Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Top 5 Idols Attempt to Sparkle on Neil Diamond Night

The show was called the "strangest ever done" by Simon, and it was to say the least. What did not change was the Top 5 trying their best to impress. Last night's format was that each contestant sang twice (every contestant sang one time and then everyone went back and sang a second song). As an overall general comment, every contestant sang better on their second song, so most of my comments will be in reference to their second song.

01 Jason Castro sang "Forever in Blue Jeans" and "September Morn"-- The first song was just ok, there was nothing memorable about it. I loved Jason's interpretation of "September Morn". He has a certain strength in his voice, yet there is something gentle as well. The judges said it was somewhat forgettable and I totally disagree. I am definitely downloading the full song on i-tunes.
Score: 4

02 David Cook sang "I'm Alive" and "All I Really Need is You"--- I will agree with Simon's comment on the first, "just above average". Both of David's songs were pretty unfamiliar to most people. On the second song, he changed the arrangement, and made it sound like a song that could be on the radio today. The song was sung with the genuine authenticity of a rock song. Paula said she felt like she was looking at the American Idol already.
Score: 5

03 Brooke White sang "I'm A Believer" and "I Am I Said"--- The first song, I am sorry to say, was really cheesey, and according to Simon- a nightmare. The second song was more sincere, it came from her heart, and it showed that amount of vulnerability that we have become so accustomed to seeing from Brooke.
Score: 3.9

04 David Archuleta sang "Sweet Caroline" and "America"--- I am not exactly sure on how to judge David on these two performances. I love David as a performer, and I think he has a great voice, but to me, I am not looking back at these performances and seeing them as special. There is where I disagree with the judges, I felt his song choices were very predictable. There is something extraordinary about David, but something very ordinary about these two performances.
Svore: 3.5

05 Syesha Mercado sang "Hello Again" and "Thank the Lord for the Nightime"--- The first performace was full of strong vocals, but I did see it as being a bit old fashioned as Simon said. Syesha did, in my opinion, have the strongest first song of any of the contestants. Syesha is someone I see as a triple threat, she can sing, dance, and act. Her personality is just about bursting at the seams and I think it really colors up her singing.
Score: 5

No comments: