Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Top Ten Guys Perform and Show Improvements from Last Week

The Top Ten Guys performed 70's songs tonight, and it appears that they took the judges criticisms and made improvements. Song choices were better overall, but not everyone impressed, the ones that did not impress surprised me. I expected more consistency, and that isn't happening with many contestants thus far.

01 Michael Johns sang "Go Your Own Way" made famous by Fleetwood Mac. Simon said that it was a weak choice of song, and I have to say that I agree. There was no "moment" in the song; I kept waiting for something great to happen, and it never did, unfortunately. It wasn't a bad performance, but it wasn't terribly good either. I still consider Michael consistent, and this won't get him voted off.
Score: 3.9

02 Jason Castro sang "I Just Want to Be Your Everything" made famous by The Bee Gees. I like how Jason has this very bohemian style about him, and I thought it was cool how he played the guitar and sang. His vocals were weak, and he needs to get rid of the guitar next week, and prove his worth as a vocalist.
Score: 3.5

03 Luke Menard sang "Killer Queen" made famous by Queen. This was leaps and bounds better than last week. I disagreed with Simon when he said that Luke has no charisma and personality. The truth is, it is always difficult to sing Queen, and Luke did a good job, it wasn't great, but it was good, and he should get points for degree of difficulty. I think he should stay around another week.
Score: 3.75

04 Robbie Carrico sang "Hot Blooded" made famous by Foreigner. This was another ok performance. I was so impressed with Robbie last week, and this week fell flat. I kept expecting more, and it didn't happen. The vocals were good, and he needs to come back nect week with something fierce.
Score: 3.8

05 Danny Noreiga sang "Superstar" made famous by the Carpenters and Luther Vandross. Danny tried too hard with this performance, and therefore it came across as forced. He should listen to Ruben Studdard from Season 2 singing this---- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGLMDHodYUY&feature=related . I remember hearing him sing this, and all I could think was about how effortless the vocals were.
Score: 3

06 David Hernandez sang "Papa was a Rolling Stone" made famous by the Temptations. David continues to remind me of a soulful Marc Anthony. The vocals were solid from beginning to end, and David took harsh criticism from last week, and turned it around.
Score: 4.5

07 Jason Yaeger sang "Long Train Runnin'" made famous by the Doobie Brothers. Simon said Jason was like a drunk guy at a party, and I would not take it that far; in fact, the performance wasn't that bad. However, it did remind me of a Las Vegas hotel lounge act.
Score: 2.5

08 Chickezie Eze sang "I Believe (to my soul)" made famous by Donny Hathaway. Chikezie is another person who improved tremendously from last week. It was a brilliant choice of song, and vocally it was solid.
Score: 4

09 David Cook sang "All Right Now" made famous by Free. David sounded authentic; he is a rocker through and thorugh. He made a smart choice, and stayed true to who he is as an artist and vocalist. I disagree with Simon saying he has no personality.
Score: 4.5

10 David Archuleta sang "Imagine" made famous by John Lennon. This kid does not ever fail to surprise me. Every week he shows poise and maturity beyond his years. David is a born singer, and this is probably one of the best performances to ever grace an American Idol stage. Simon called David the one to beat, and there are 19 miserable contestants after that performance. It was a risky song choice, and to have it turn out that well means David is truly a talent.
Score: 5

No comments: