Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Glorious Revelations and Beautiful Letdowns as Top 12 Ladies Perform on Idol Season 7

So after the fifth lady performed I was about to call it a night, and write on my blog that a guy should win Idol season 7, and then a woman named Brooke White, who has never seen an "R" rated movie, performed and made me believe that a woman could win the competition again. Ok, well she didn't make me believe that, it was actuallyAsia'h Epperson who's father died a few months back, and three or four other ladies. However, I do want to say that Brooke White did make me smile, and don't you all think she looks like the actress Britney Snow (she played Meg on American Dreams)?

So without further ado, here is what I thought.............

01 Kristy Lee Cook sang "Rescue Me" by Fontella Bass. Kristy can definitely sing, but I have to say that I have only heard her sing the song "Amazing Grace" well. No one can make it though this competition, and only know how to sing one song well; it just isn't going to happen. Ryan Seacrest did bring up a good point; Kristy and many of the other ladies were sick. How do we judge then? On what we heard during Hollywood week, or on their performance that night? For Kristy's sake, she better hope for Hollywood week. She also did not choose a song suited for her vocal stylings at all.
Score: 2.9

02 Joanne Borgella sang "Say a Little Prayer for You" by Aretha Franklin. Joanne did lack some confidence, especially considering that she is a model. I think her song choice was right for her, and she does have a very engaging voice. I could not help but think about Diana King's version of the song, which was recorded in the 90's for the movie "My Best Friend's Wedding"; Joanne should have displayed that confidence because it would have made her performance so much better.
Score: 3.75

03 Alaina Whitaker sang "I Love You More Today Than Yesterday" by Spiral Staircase. Chikezie sang this yesterday, and the young lady wins this duel. Alaina really surprised me; I didn't think she would have the performance ability, and not only did she have that but she had great vocals to go along with it. The 16 year old should sail through the first round.
Score: 5

04 Amanda Overmyer sang "Baby Please Don't Go" by Them (Van Morrison). Amanda does have personality, and she is true to who she is. Her authenticity as an artist is admirable, but I didn't understand her performance. Simon called it, a bit all over the place at times, and I have to say I agree with him.
Score: 2

05 Amy Davis sang "Where the Boys Are" by Connie Francis. This is a great song, but unfortunately Amy butchered it, she scooped into all the notes. Rather than hitting the notes right on, Amy slid into the notes. The performance was not good; Randy's assessment was right. Kimberley Locke actually sang this in Season 2, and if I find a video of the performance I will post it.
Score: 2.5

06 Brooke White sang "So Happy Together" by the Turtles. David Cook sang this last night, and both performances were very good. Simon said this performance reminded him of a commercial for "washing up liquid"............... sunny, happy, and everyone looks like Brooke. Now what is wrong with that?
Score: 4

07 Alexandrea Lushington sang "Spinning Wheel" by Blood, Sweat, & Tears. I liked this whole performance; I thought it was confident, vocals were strong. Alexandrea's interpretation was all her own all the way through, well thought out and again very professional for someone so young.
This actually made me think of Bo Bice when he sang this same song on season 4, check it out---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdNUe6F5YOo .
Score: 4.5

08 Kady Malloy sang "A Groovy Kind of Love" by Diane & Annita. Simon was right again, Kady needs to loosen up, lighten up, and be herself. She is so likeable and her Britney Spear's impression showed that. I hope she receives another chance to prove herself because this was a let down.
Score: 3

09 Asia'h Epperson sang "Take Another Little Piece of My Heart" by Janis Joplin. It definitely took guts on Asia'h's part to sing this song; not easy at all. She nailed it though; it was the perfect mix of soul, rock, and heart. Asia'h has a voice that gives that song a fresh sound which is what the judges mentioned to the guys over and over again on Tuesday. Nikki McKibbin sang this in Season 1 and Carrie Underwood sang it in Season 4. Here is Nikki's version for you all to check out--- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9rwnYR4PI0 .
Score: 4.9

10 Ramiele Malubay sang "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" by Dusty Springfield. This was one of the best and most controlled vocals of the night. H-O-T; Simon called her the most consistent female singer in the competition and said she outsang everyone by a mile. I think it was a lovely surprise that that voice came out of a little lady like Ramiele, the vocal was gentle, yet strong. Nadia Turner tackled this song flawlessly in Season 4 and Stephanie Edwards tried her luck in Season 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCGLCd94knE -- Nadia and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31U3X28Ac9Y -- Stephanie) Compare the three and see what you think. Soon I will give the link for Ramiele's interpretation of the song.
Score: 5

11 Syesha Mercado sang "Tobacco Road" by The Nashville Teens. I was waiting all night for this lady to perform and she did let me down by longshot. Syesha has a big voice, and she proved that tonight she is a force to be reckoned with in this competition. I remembered that I had heard this song before, and I discovered that Phil Stacey sang this in Season 6, totally different interpretation of course (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAJMKzBN66E). Simon called Syesha the "whole package" and I could not agree more with that statement of fact.
Score: 5

12 Carly Smithson sang "The Shadow of Your Smile" by you name it --- Tony Bennett, Barbara Streisand, Frank Sinatra, Shirley Bassey, Perry Como, and Connie Francis. I was also waiting to hear Carly sing, there has been so much hype surrounding her, and this was a beautiful letdown. I could not have disagreed more with Randy who called it the best vocal of the Top 24. And surprisingly, I couldn't have agreed more with Simon who said it was disappointing and he expected more. Frankly so did I.
Score 3.9

Enough said!

No comments: