Wednesday, February 27, 2008

American Idol Season 7: The Top 10 Girls Provide a Mixed Bag

Some girls were good, and some were not so good..... here's how I thought they fared.

01 Carly Smithson sang "Crazy on You" made famous by Heart. I agree with Simon, Carly still has not picked a song that showcases just how talented she is vocally, and until she does that, she is going to measure up short compared to the other girls.
Score: 3.8

02 Syesha Mercado sang "Me & Mrs. (Mr.) Jones" made famous by Billy Paul. Syesha's strength is really belting out a song, and songs with lots of power behind them. She could have chosen a better song though because it did not fit her as well as it could have. The verses sounded quiet because she is not used to singing low.
Score: 4

03 Brooke White sang "You're So Vain" made famous by Carly Simon. Brooke White totally surprised me this week. The song suited her stylistically and personality wise. Simon loved her and said it was one of the first times a contestant chose a song that fit them so well.
Score: 5

04 Ramiele Malubay sang "Don't Leave Me this Way" made famous by Thelma Houston. Ramiele is such a pro, her vocals are right on every single time. My problem with the performance was her song choice; the song didn't go anywhere, there were no highs in the song. That being said, Ramiele is still, despite that, one of the strongest vocalists in the competition right now.
Score: 4.75

05 Kristy Lee Cook sang "You're No Good" made famous by Linda Ronstadt. I completely disagree with the judges; I didn't like the sing choice, and I kept waiting to be impressed, and the honest truth is that I wasn't impressed. Kristy should consider going the country route as Simon suggested, or she is going to be going home soon.
Score: 3

06 Amanda Overmyer sang "Carry on my Wayward Son" made famous by Kansas. I agree with Simon, I could NOT wait for it to be over. Paula was also right in the sense that Amanda is better than the song was. If she really wants to get votes though and stay on the show she needs to go back to what she is good at and keep it simple. This week, I did not get it, and she may not get another chance to prove her worth.
Score: 2

07 Alaina Whitaker sang "Hopelessly Devoted to You" made famous by Olivia Newton John. Wow, this is amazing, I am agreeing with Simon again. Alaina is a dark horse in this competition, but I think she has some figuring out to do. She needs to figure out who she wants to be as an artist because she has lots of options and lots of potential. Performance was good, song was an ok choice, nothing special.
Score: 3.9

08 Alexandrea Lushington sang "If You Leave Me Now" made famous by Chicago. The song was totally not right for her, it was boring, out of tune; she seemed uncomfortable, like it did not fit her at all. The song is one of those songs that never moves beyond its time. Alexandrea is definitely talented, but this did not show it.
Score: 3

09 Kady Malloy sang "Magic Man" made famous by Heart. I love Kady Malloy and I want her to do well, and I keep waiting for her to have that breakout performance that I know she is capable of delivering, but tonight was not it by a long shot. It is obvious that she is still struggling with something. I hope she will be around next week to prove herself and her relevance in this competition.
Score: 3

10 Asia'h Epperson sang "All by Myself" made famous by Eric Carmen and Celine Dion. Ok Asia'h does get points for a few reasons--- she is sick, that was clear, and she chose a song with a very high degree of difficulty. The song was a little too big for her, but she is a strong vocalist, and I would be shocked if she was not back next week.
Score: 4

No comments: