Monday, April 27, 2020

American Idol 2020: The Top 20 are LIVE from Home

Kimmy Gabriella sang Leave me Lonely by Ariana Grande feat. Macy Gray-- I had never heard this song before. I actually think she sounded great. I did hear some nerves but she seemed to improve as the performance went on. The judges comments weren't really anything specific.

Jovin Webb sang With a Little Help from my Friends by Joe Cocker-- He sounds great. I can hear him performing a-capella and being amazing. This was a great song choice for him, and I see him as one of the strongest, most identifiable voices in the competition this year.  Lionel said his voice is "instant identity" and Katy said he has tons of texture in his voice.

Franklin Boone sang Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears-- This is a fave song of mine, a guilty pleasure of sorts. I did not like the arrangement of this. His voice didn't seem to soar the way I think it should have, probably not the best song choice either. Lionel said he was true to himself. Katy said she was tearing up... okay. Kinda weird.

Olivia Ximines sang Bad Guy by Billie Eilish-- I actually loved this performance. I did not think it was the best song choice for her but her personality and her sass really came out. She has a strong voice. Luke said she always "brings the show". Lionel called her a superstar.

Louis Knight sang If the World is Ending by JP Saxes feat. Julia Michaels-- I like his voice but I was distracted by his pronunciation and diction of the lyrics. He has a great falsetto. The song choice was good for him. Luke said it showed clear artistic direction. Lionel said incredible falsetto, and the cry in his voice is believable. Katy said great song choice, the message couldn't be more on point. He was a little bit nasally was her constructive feedback.

Makayla Phillips sang Greedy by Ariana Grande-- Loved this. This was one of my favorite so far. Song choice was perfection. To me, she could be the next Ariana Grande; she has the voice, she has the star power. Lionel said this was as professional as it could be. Katy didn't seem to be crazy about the song choice; she's bugging. That was an awesome song. Luke said you make hard stuff look really easy, you hit hard notes effortlessly.

Aliana Jester sang Run to You by Whitney Houston-- This was too old fashioned for me. Great background, very creative, but her voice was off. She needed to act a little younger. Of course the judges praised the performances.

Faith Bencel sang River by Bishop Briggs-- I liked this, but didn't love it. Lionel remarked on how she closed her eyes. Luke liked her rendition of the song. Katy noticed her improved vibrato. I was distracted by her closing her eyes and all the hand movements above her head, it was a little much. The song is a fave of mine but I think I prefer Bishop Brigg's version.

Nick Merico sang Hey There Delilah by The Plain White T's-- Hmmm, this did not do it for me. I didn't like this. I feel like the judges don't know how to give constructive feedback if it isn't rainbows and sunshine.

Lauren Spencer Smith sang Mama Knows Best by Jessie J.-- She had one of the stronger vocals of the night. This song is becoming a little overdone. I think I would have preferred to hear her singing something else. Katy said she continues growing, even during a quarantine. She looks and sounds great. Luke loved all the nuances in her voice.

Cyniah Elise sang Warrior by Demi Lovato-- Oh I take it back, the judges have criticism but for the wrong people. LOL. Luke and Katy both made comments about her not connecting. I thought the vocal was great, the song was appropriate, made she could have felt the song more. Overall though, great job!

Francisco Martin sang Teenage Dream by Katy Perry-- Wow! This was so good, what a risk singing a Katy Perry song live for Katy Perry. I think I liked this better than the Glee version. There is something sincere, genuine, and honest about Francisco when he performs. I really believed this performance on him. I don't see a Top Ten without him.

Sophia James sang Burning by Maggie Rogers-- She has a little bit of a different sound than her female counterparts in the competition. She has a warm voice. Katy called it pleasing to the ear. Luke said she is sneaky good. He thought that perhaps playing the keyboard distracted her.

Dewayne Crocker sang I Feel Bad by James Brown-- He picked a song that definitely worked with who he is as an artist; however, my only criticism would be that this is a song that needed more growl. It's almost like it needed to be dirtied up a little more. Luke thought it was a little too clicky, but the end note showed so much talent. Lionel echoed Luke's feedback as did Katy.

Dillon James sang Let it Be Me by Ray Lamontagne--  The song is so special, love it. I would have liked for him to connect with it a little bit more. His background was one of the more cool and authentic ones. Lionel loved his look and sound. Luke said cut a record, and go make the music you wanna make, you  have the steering wheel. Katy talked about Gaby Barrett having a number one country song and that this could be his future.

Arthur Gunn sang Lovin Machine by Wynonie Harris-- Arthur has the most recognizable voice and vibe in this top 20. He is so so unique. I adore that he gives every song and performance 110%. I would say he needs to remember to look in the camera. The song was a surprise for him. Luke said you are going to be a ginormous star.

Julia Gargano sang Human by Christina Perri-- Julia is enormously talented. I was a little bored with this performance. I hope people listening realize how talented she is and that they do vote for her. Luke says his brain is scrambled, and Lionel says she is a stylist.

Grace Leer sang Cry by Faith Hill-- This song really showcased her voice beautifully. She actually sounded quite a bit like Faith Hill. She got better as the performance went on. Katy said she played with those dynamics. She has a lot of the boxes checked to be a country star.

Just Sam sang I Believe by Fantasia-- Fantasia and this song is magic. Someone else singing it is a little cheesy. I also think that this song really undersold her voice. She is better than the best she could do this song. The judges compliment her growth. I agree she is inspiring, but I don't know that that is enough to get her to the top ten.

Jonny West sang What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong-- I think the judges liked him more than me. I thought he was okay, but clearly they think he is a star. Luke believes he can take his career wherever he wants. Lionel says he has it all.

Okay friends-- here's my top ten in no particular order--

Jovin Webb
Olivia Ximines
Makayla Phillips
Francisco Martin
Julia Gargano
Grace Leer
Louis Knight
Sophia James
Arthur Gunn
Dillon James

Honorable Mentions to-- Jonny, Lauren, and Cyniah

You can watch the Top 20 Performances HERE!

No comments: