Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Voice Season 5: Eight Become Six, but did the right 2 go home?

James Wolpert performed Somebody to Love by Queen-- I like this performance but I think the judges went a bit overboard saying it was the best performance on The Voice. I think the performance was better than the vocal and there were other vocals tonight that were better than this. I call his performance, middle of the pack. 

Tessanne Chin performed Underneath it All by No Doubt-- This performance had so much authenticity and flavor that it was easily one of my favorite performances of the night. This was an awesome vocal; she was one of the best of the night. 

Caroline Pennell performed the Dog Days Are Over by Florence + The Machine-- This should have been better than it was ultimately. Vocally, this song is intricate and unusual like Caroline but the chorus chewed her up and spit her out. It's like the song was too big for her for some reason and the song controlled her rather than she controlled the song. Unfortunately, I do understand why Caroline went home. 

Cole Vosbury performed I Still Believe in You by Vince Gill-- This was another strong vocal from Cole that just absolutely melted my heart. Blake chose an amazing song for him. The thing I continue to absolutely love about Cole is his versatility. He can sing everything-- one week he is singing a Miguel song and the next week he is singing a Vince Gill song. It's just absolutely unreal to me. I need to constantly remind myself that for his blind he performed the theme song to The Jefferson's and only Cee Lo turned for him. 

Matthew Schuler performed It's Time by Imagine Dragons-- I have liked Matthew since the beginning, but he is extremely lucky he didn't get sent home after this not well put together performance. This just was not the right song for him. It didn't come together as it usually does. Matthew is a unique talent, but this wasn't his bag at all. 

Will Champlin performed At Last by Etta James-- One of my favorite of the night. Will has probably experienced the most growth of any contestant in the competition. His vocal was strong, and I feel much like Adam in that he's so ambitious. He seems to continuously push for that higher note. Right now, I would like to see him in the finals. 

Ray Boudreaux sang Gimme Some Lovin' by The Spencer Davis Group-- This was a high energy performance and Ray's vocals were right now. I cannot explain why Ray went home except to say that maybe the public didn't catch on to his very original style. Like some of the judges, I loved Ray's swagger in this performance, and I truly wish him the best going forward. I am sorry to see him leave the competition at this stage. 

Jacquie Lee sang Who's Loving You by Smokey Robinson/ Michael Jackson-- Not the best I have seen or heard Jacquie but she continues to remain a contender. At only 16, she is the real deal. I love the notes she hits and her poise and maturity is impressive. She has this innate ability to convey adult emotions, and all the judges clearly understood that and commented on it. 

 

No comments: